240 Walmart next?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, not referring to Jade Helm. The plumbing issues were to cover up the real reason for closing, massive levels of "shrink" or loss, which is why I pointed out the changes to security (these are usually reserve deputies, who have to "work" so many hours a month, often unpaid by OCSO). My guess is that due to the increased theft from 12am to 6am due to low staffing levels and less chance of eye witnesses, and increased safety risks to customers and employees are the reasons for the new hours. If that doesnt reduce shrink enough, they'll just close the store for some "issues". The only other time I went to WM this year, was late, and went because it was closer than the 24 hour walmart. A man and woman came flying out of the store with two carts, threw everything in the car, some falling out, and took off. Took the stuff that fell out into the store, gave it to the lone cashier and gave him the tag # since he was already on the phone with PD.

Don't know if policies have changed since the days when I was a reserve, but working jobs like that didn't count towards your duty hours. I've worked many extra security jobs because I was a reserve, but none of the hours counted toward my responsibility towards the sheriffs time.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if policies have changed since the days when I was a reserve, but working jobs like that didn't count towards your duty hours. I've worked many extra security jobs because I was a reserve, but none of the hours counted toward my responsibility towards the sheriffs time.

I'll check, I know the DUI checkpoints do, even though its usually unpaid. I know when county bid on the school campus security it was gonna be staffed with reserves.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll check, I know the DUI checkpoints do, even though its usually unpaid. I know when county bid on the school campus security it was gonna be staffed with reserves.

I can see the checkpoints and school security as working hours for the Sheriff, but I wouldn't think working security at Walmart would. That's a day off security job to me.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can see the checkpoints and school security as working hours for the Sheriff, but I wouldn't think working security at Walmart would. That's a day off security job to me.

Yeah, but the way they are hurting budget wise, I can't see them being able to afford to pay the Deputy. Last time I spoke to one of the Capt's, he said they had lost over 140 full time positions in the past year that were not being filled. Granted, thats OCSO's CO's, IT support, etc as well, but that was a few months ago, probably worse now. OCSO had dept's with staffing #'s in the teens, and now down to less than a handful of people.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got mixed emotions about reserve programs. I've been a reserve and got some good training which led to full time CLEET academy and employment.

But, I think the program also makes it harder for full time officers to get benefits and raises that they deserve. Say for instance an officer or the FOP go to the chief and ask for a raise. His reply....."Why should I give you a raise when there are people who will do the same job for free"?

loudshirt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Plumbing was a cover for union issues. Couldn't close just one so they closed multiple.

"Plumbing issues" was a cover for multiple issues. The store in Ca swore it was for union issues. The most consistent thing I have heard was the closings were about employee theft and bad employees in general. The idea was they close the store for about 6 months, reassign employees to other stores. If the employees did not want to be reassigned they were let go. When the store opened again it was a mostly new crew that was running the store.

Do I have a quotable source, no I dont. I just know a couple people that work in different Wal Marts.

Oh and the Admiral and Memorial store in Tulsa is open again.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Plumbing issues" was a cover for multiple issues. The store in Ca swore it was for union issues. The most consistent thing I have heard was the closings were about employee theft and bad employees in general. The idea was they close the store for about 6 months, reassign employees to other stores. If the employees did not want to be reassigned they were let go. When the store opened again it was a mostly new crew that was running the store.

Do I have a quotable source, no I dont. I just know a couple people that work in different Wal Marts.

Oh and the Admiral and Memorial store in Tulsa is open again.
Right, but safety and shrink during those hours is what makes me think the same will happen to 240, especially since the new I44 one is soon to be open...

Latest posts

Top Bottom