.25 ACP vs. .22LR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I took a few moments to fire off a few rounds from my new carry piece- a Reck P8 .25 (hey, its small, has a safety, doesn't weigh my pants down and fits in the change pocket). I really like the gun, it fired nice and smooth, was accurate, but holy crap, that thing has no balls. I shot a can of expanda-foam from about 10 foot. It went in and didn't come out. Seriously? Full-metal jacket Remington rounds, and wouldn't go through a tin can? Granted the foam goo slowed it down, but so would a bad guy's guts. Maybe it would bounce around in there if you didn't get good placement.....:nolike:

SO I took out my .22 derringer- smaller caliber, less accurate (my Derringer can miss point blank!) and after about 5 rounds I hit the can. through and through. I guess .25s really do suck. No worries, I am getting a .380 carry piece soon. Guess if I need knock-down power I should carry my XD40!:rubhands:

RedRiverAmmo

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are several reasons I have considered trading two little pocket .25s for one comparable .22. .25 is fun to shoot, but as mentioned its an anemic round. I actually like to shoot my .25's but I can shoot a 9mm cheaper and a .22 is about a tenth of the cost to feed.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For muzzle energy, 22LR is above 25ACP. 25ACP is pretty much a small pistol primer with 2 grains of powder and a bullet on top.
22LR Aguila Maximum ammunition is even hotter than most 32ACP ammo.
22Mag is way hotter than 32ACP.

IMO 9x19 is the minimum acceptable round for CCW/SD. If rimfires didn't have such crappy ignition reliability they might actually get a nod every now and then for CCW/SD.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
if you are in a close-quarter situation, any gun that goes boom will work, but if you are up against a meth-head or some psycho, you either need to be an excellent shot in panic situations or something big that has a fast cycle.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First let's all agree there's been a bunch of people killed with both the 22 and 25.
Both are better than a dumb look at a gun fight.

But if you're looking to score a new/first handgun I think you should look for something larger than a 380.
Now let me say I have a few 380's and carry them often.
But the 380 is my really not expecting any contact with someone or going somewhere anything larger is problematic caliber.
If I feel the need to carry I will usally carry something in the 38spl-9mm range and up.

The lowly little 25 acp has been the bain of CCW for years.
Just doesn't measure up well against all the other options out there.
But for some reason they still sell lots of the little pistols and ammo.
Go figure. It goes bang. A bullet comes out the end.
They are fun to shoot. Small and easily carried.

Latest posts

Top Bottom