28ga shotguns...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the Yildiz thread, so how about starting one for the 28ga?

Who here likes the 28ga, why and what type of 28ga shotgun do you have or like best?

Reaction score
Perfect quail / grouse / chukkar / partridge / dove caliber, seems to me.

Had a Stevens 512 Goldwing O/U in 28 ga and gave it to the girlfriend (didn't hit with it all too well), to try to get her interested in clays and/or hunting - stay tuned to see if the plan works.

Wouldn't mind getting a Franchi 48A at some point, in 28 ga, for an all around upland bird gun. Talk about your light recoil!

For pheasant, I plan to run with a 20 ga though.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a Remington 11-48 in 28 gauge. It's in really good shape. I like shooting it for clays. Makes it a little more challenging.

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a 3/4 oz 28ga with pretty good success on pheasants, but try to stay with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 7/8 oz #6; they make the little 28 hit like a 20ga. I purchased a couple boxes of Winchester Super X 1 oz #6 loads, but haven't had a chance to pattern them yet. They may or may not work too well; that's a lot of shot to stuff into a small hull and the shot string must be as long as a freight train...Anyone have any experience with these loads?

1eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a Bakail 28ga a few years ago and set it up to teach kids to shoot. Worked great and ammo was cheaper than 410ga. I like to shoot it myself sometimes and makes for a really light upland game gun.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used a 3/4 oz 28ga with pretty good success on pheasants, but try to stay with Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 7/8 oz #6; they make the little 28 hit like a 20ga. I purchased a couple boxes of Winchester Super X 1 oz #6 loads, but haven't had a chance to pattern them yet. They may or may not work too well; that's a lot of shot to stuff into a small hull and the shot string must be as long as a freight train...Anyone have any experience with these loads?

Nope--Of all common gauges, the 10 and the 28 have the shortest shot strings, followed by the 12 (I have no data on the 16) the 20, and by far the longest is the .410. With skeet loads the typical 12 ga string is about two feet at 20 yards. The 20 pushes four feet, and the .410 gets to about 8 feet. The 28 string is around 18 inches, and gives target crushing hits. The .410 shoots a standard skeet pattern with the proper choke, but demoralizes lots of shooters because unless it's a nearly straight on shot, you get little chips even if you are "all over" the clay bird.

The 28 is a wonderful thing. Shoots as well as a 20, kicks less than a .410. It's the perfect starter gun for a kid (don't give a kid you like a .410--it's a sure way to put 'em off shotgunning).

Unless you have deep pockets, you need to reload for the 28, and to get varied loads, you still need to. I have years of experience in this. PM me if you want to discuss loading for the 28. I have some components left (got interested more in hardball shooting and currently-sob!-don't own a 28).

For loading 28, the MEC Grabber is the best way to go. Pretty fast, total control, and lots of factory support if you need it. CB

S&W 10

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree on the .410; I'm always completely humbled when I try to kill those little orange birds with my .410 Citori!
I've had great patterns with the majority of the 3/4 oz loads from several manufactures and they all seem to have a short shot string. The 7/8 oz Golden Pheasant's seem to have a pretty long string, but I don't notice it causing any problems on game birds. It's only the 1 oz Winchester loads that have me wondering.
The B&P Extra Rossa is awesome, when they have it in stock; I did manage to buy about 40 flats of Estate Super Sport in 12, 20 and 28 # 8 & 7 1/2, when Sportsman's Warehouse was closing, but was only able to purchase eight cases of 28ga; it seems to be pretty decent quality. I'm only able shoot around 500 rounds of 28ga a year and don't have much time to reload, so unfortunately for me it's mostly 20 and 12 ga's that are sent skyward. If I had the time and a place to shoot regularly, it would be my 28ga's that got used most often...although I do have a soft spot for the 16ga as well.

Danny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 28 is a great gauge for a shotgun for hunting upland birds! But, it can be a pain in the butt if you leave home and forget your ammo. Especially if you're a hundred miles from Tulsa or OKC. Not too many small town sources carry 28 gauge shells.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year, I wanted to get a really light 28 ga for quail and pheasant. I had my heart set on the CZ 28 ga Bobwhite after an acquaintance let me try one. I went down to H&H to pick one up. Then by happenstance, I handled the Franchi 48AL in both the 28 & 20 ga. I ended up buying the 20 gauge since the weight wasn't really different, and ammo is cheaper & more available.

I still love my 20 ga, but definitely will pick up a Franchi 48 AL in 28 ga this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom