3 gun rig

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OUshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm gearing up for 3 gun fun. My current rig is:

1)pistol - XD tactical .40S&W (irons)
2)rifle- Cetme .308(irons)
3)shotgun - 870 12ga...currently an upland bird gun. What barrel length will work for this? I'm thinking 20" with Imp Cyl.

Reaction score
Sounds good to me!

Some guys like a 22" or longer barrel on their shotgun so they can run with a longer mag extension, but I think the config you compete with should be the same one you use for home defense, which is likely gonna be an 18-20" or 22" at most. 20" is a good middle ground, and may allow an extra round in the tube mag extension than an 18", even if it sticks out a bit past the barrel.

You might want to snag a .223 / 5.56x45mm or 5.45x39mm -chambered rifle just to shoot it a little cheaper, with more rapid follow up shots. But the CETME will work too just at a little more expense.

I will be using, when I get "a round tuit": CZ 85 combat 9x19mm; Mossy 930 SPX 12 ga; DPMS LR260L .260 rem or Rob XCR 5.56x45mm

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, some 3-gun matches will not allow the use of steel-core ammo - right? If so, stay away from milsurp 5.45x39 ammo, since most of that stuff will have steel cores.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I'm gearing up for 3 gun fun. My current rig is:

1)pistol - XD tactical .40S&W (irons)
2)rifle- Cetme .308(irons)
3)shotgun - 870 12ga...currently an upland bird gun. What barrel length will work for this? I'm thinking 20" with Imp Cyl.

I'll just go ahead and say it - you're a F!@#$ing bad-ass if you're going to run 3-gun with a Cetme - I've seen a Garand at one and it was flat out awesome (but there's no way my shoulder could go through that).

My hat's off to you man - I'd run a lighter kicking carbine if it were me, but I'm sort of a wuss.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was thinking of this exact thing today at work. Im piecing together an ar, but i doubt it will be done in time for the march 3gun. I was looking at my mossberg 500 yesterday. I have a 20" barrel and a 28 and wasnt sure which would be better. I think ill go with 20"

i have an xd 40 i was going to use, but a buddy of mine is in japan for a few years so i am baby sitting his guns. He has a 5" 9mm glock that will work out great. I may have to give that sucker a workout while im babysitting her

OUshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...kinda surprised Jesse didn't chime in, hehe. I settled on the 20". Pics are attached. Come March we will see how awful I am :blah:

Attachments

• 870 small.JPG
    870 small.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 149

OUshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll just go ahead and say it - you're a F!@#$ing bad-ass if you're going to run 3-gun with a Cetme - I've seen a Garand at one and it was flat out awesome (but there's no way my shoulder could go through that).

My hat's off to you man - I'd run a lighter kicking carbine if it were me, but I'm sort of a wuss.

Dealing with the punishment is the least of my worries...hehe they aren't the most accurate rifles. But as long as everything runs and I have fun it's no matter.

OUshooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
good lookin shotty, but does the sidesaddle work with that long foregrip on it?

Hehe when I get done with it tomorrow afternoon it will. I also have to work on the dimples inside the magazine tube.

I just couldn't wait to put it together today. I could feel my blood pressure shoot up when I came home from work and a package was on the front porch.:fullauto:

RustyZX9

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like a great rig! Get yourself a single stack pistol and you're all ready to shoot the heavy metal class... My 3 gun adventure has been a great time as has my competitive shooting in general. My best advise right now is to shoot what you have and form your own opinions on what you like and what works for you specifically. Going this route will keep you from spending tons of cash on stuff that you don't end up liking and the shooting community is always happy to help out with gear and advice.

Latest posts

Top Bottom