30-30 Winchester/WCF Ballistics Gel Results

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moparman485

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all! Below are all of my results for the 30-30 Winchester/WCF. Please see the associated card to see the ammo type, velocity, firearm, and penetration information. Please feel free to also add any results you may have had, as this could possibly turn into a library of sorts with multiple contributors to help people pick which ammo to stock up on, and what ammo is all hype. In the case of non-factory ammunition that is tested, please bear in mind that you only use the listed load data at your own risk. Safe in my guns does not mean safe in yours. I am also open to testing any ammunition that you may have (factory or non) but if it is non-factory, I will need a breakdown of your load data/process before I pull the trigger on it. If you have an interest in that, PM me and we can discuss. If nothing else, please enjoy the results, they were certainly fun getting!

Gel data: 20% ballistic gel made from Knox unflavored gelatin (and for the money minded, great value unflavored gelatin powder also works fine), and a few drops of cinnamon oil to help keep mold down and prolong the life of the gel (plus cover the wet dog smell of the melting gel).

Also, I don’t pretend to think that this method is the best, most scientific, or even preferred method, but it felt a bit wasteful to just hold onto the data without sharing it with others. So here it is! Enjoy

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
165gr Cast/Coated T&B RNFP with 8.5grs of Trail Boss (1,209fps). No bullet ever recovered. Pictured bullet is of bullet prior to loading for reference
110E4F86-117B-4329-B1A0-EB530BB40F89.jpeg
4A2E619A-C0E3-453D-91AF-284EC2A531CD.jpeg
BE224CC9-82A2-49B9-832B-D1DB18E5A55A.jpeg

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speer 170gr Hor Cor

I have personally witnessed this load take two hogs standing side by side with a single shot that speed fully through the first hog, and then into the second hog and exiting the offside shoulder of the second hog. Dropping both in their tracks without them running any appreciable distance. Hogs were in the 225-300lb range in size.
4EA178B3-2F48-4DC4-9A9F-5F9C7FD26A5B.jpeg
00B6530B-493E-4F67-932F-DEED1C4D458A.jpeg

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
165gr Cast/Coated T&B RNFP with 8.5grs of Trail Boss (1,209fps). No bullet ever recovered. Pictured bullet is of bullet prior to loading for reference
A perfect example of the efficiency of lead projectiles for penetration.

Slow it down, no expansion, bore straight through. That can be beneficial in certain circumstances: a thick-skinned animal such as pig comes to mind.

I wonder how hard that lead bullet is? Something a bit softer - to facilitate expansion - would be more appropriate for deer.

Or perhaps keep the harder alloy and speed it up some. 1400 fps maybe.

Very interesting results.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A perfect example of the efficiency of lead projectiles for penetration.

Slow it down, no expansion, bore straight through. That can be beneficial in certain circumstances: a thick-skinned animal such as pig comes to mind.

I wonder how hard that lead bullet is? Something a bit softer - to facilitate expansion - would be more appropriate for deer.

Or perhaps keep the harder alloy and speed it up some. 1400 fps maybe.

Very interesting results.
I was actually initially planning on testing my 405 cast 4570 load as well in the gel. But after seeing what a projectile roughly 1/3 it’s weight and going a fart slower did, I found it to be unnecessary. Although I still may do so when I get done with the project (since it is going to go through and likely destroy the stand haha)

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great work, you are really doing some interesting stuff. If you want to test some of your loads in a 24 inch barrel, let me know and I'll bring my 336XLR. I would love to know how that extra 4" of barrel affects the terminal ballistics.
Good stuff, keep it coming.

Moparman485

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great work, you are really doing some interesting stuff. If you want to test some of your loads in a 24 inch barrel, let me know and I'll bring my 336XLR. I would love to know how that extra 4" of barrel affects the terminal ballistics.
Good stuff, keep it coming.
Oddly enough, I did test 30/30 in longer barrels. After 18 inches, the velocity actually began to drop. 30/30 is like the 4570 in that it is an anomaly when it comes to barrel length. I tried three different weights of Projos and powder charge, and all three gave me declining velocity once I went beyond 18 inches. There was a good bump in velocity from a 16.25 tot eh 18, but then a drop when I went to 20, and then a friend had a contender (or similar, I can’t recall, it’s been a while) and it was 22/24 I believe. The velocity was even slower than the 20. So much so that I actually came back a second day with the assistance of a borrowed Labradar, as I had come to the conclusion that my existing chrono had to be on the fritz. Curiously, it confirmed the same. At least with regard to my theee loads. Im sure slower powders could remedy this issue, but leverevolution and imr4895 are what I tested.

it was curious indeed

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised at the 4895 results: slower in a longer barrel. 4895 is slower than 3031, which is considered 'the' 30-30 powder.
I've seen loads with 4064, but have never tried any.

Although, unless the velocity was recorded from the same rifle barrel cut incrementally shorter, I'm not certain the results are not just different barrels.

I've shot the same 38Spl load in 2 different SW M-10 revolvers (on the same day) and gotten drastically different velocities.

Who knows?

Latest posts

Top Bottom