.30-30 with LeverEvolution and FTX bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got some loaded, I used a mid-range load of 34 grains of LeverEvolution powder, under the FTX 160 grain bullet. The group below was just shot at 25 yards, as my old eyes don't do to well with iron sights anymore, but I smacked my 100 yard steel target with every bullet sent that way. The gun is a mid '50's model '94.

I'm sure they could do better with someone else behind the rifle. I'm happy with them, and don't plan on working up to the max load.

I know the old .30-30 ain't too glamorous these days, and there's a lot of things faster, but there still aren't any deer can outrun one.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's nice shootin' Tex. The 30-30 is iconic, a true part of American history. A bit of trivia you probably already know...the 30-30, originally known as the .30WCF but changed by Marlin to "30-30" so they wouldn't have the competitors (Winchester) name on their gun, was the first caliber to use smokeless powder and the first rifle to use that caliber was the Winchester 94.

So owning a .30-30 Winchester not only gives you a great deer rifle but a bit of history regardless of your rifles age.

When I was growing up almost every guy I knew and his dad either had a .30-30 or .30-06 with the .30-30 being the most popular. My dad chose the Winchester 94 in .44 magnum which had just been introduced at that time. As I understand it, the .44 mag was released for the first time in the early-mid 70's for 3 years only and then not sold again until 1983 or 1984. Since my dad bought his new in the 70's that makes it a bit rare just for that reason.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi, I've always heard from Cowboy Action Shooters that the .44Mag just doesn't work well in a '94. Something about the short case in an action designed for longer cartridges. Do you recall your father's rifle ever causing problems?

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brandi, I've always heard from Cowboy Action Shooters that the .44Mag just doesn't work well in a '94. Something about the short case in an action designed for longer cartridges. Do you recall your father's rifle ever causing problems?

The only time I've ever had problem is with the wadcutter ammo with the weird angled bullets designed specifically for revolvers. Every other kind of ammo has run smoothly with no problems,

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The purpose of the leverevolution powder is to get higher velocities from a lever gun cartridge. I understand not going to max loads and that is what I usually do. If I find a load that is accurate at a lower velocity I will use that load instead of a faster one that is also accurate.

Does a mid range load with that powder get the same velocity as hotter loads with other powders?

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually the velocity difference is not that much with .30-30. The big gain is a bullet with much better BC. It adds another 100 yards or so of effective range. Just judging from recoil, which I know is very unreliable, I reckon my 160's are going a hair slower than factory 150's. Due to recent rains, I couldn't kick up any dust when shooting at long range cowpatties, so I didn't get to make long range comparisons.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Egg on face. I just looked at Hodgdon's website and the LeverEvolution powder is a bit faster. What I'm probably getting with a mid range load is about the same as a max load with some of the other powders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom