.300 Blackout AR Upper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassin'ForLife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is going to be my next project I think...I like the idea of being able to use my same P Mags for 2 different calibers. Seems like a good platform to get into SBR/suppressors as well. Supposedly ammo is going to hit the stores this month, according to the website...

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what's the obsession with building AK-47 on AR platform? Well ... minus the double the cost ... and expensive ammo ... and AR "reliability".

Or is it just a way of admitting that com-bloc came up with ultimate small-arms cartridge back in 1943, without actually admitting to it ... or making the rifle look like AK-47 because, ummmm ... that's for commies and gangsters, right?

For me, it has nothing to do with the AK - its just a convenient way to fit a sub-sonic .30 cal round into my existing mags/lower/suppressor (I've got a SCAR-H SD, so its a .30 cal suppressor that I happen to use on my .223 guns).

If I went the AK route, I'd have a limited selection of good sub-sonic ammo that shoots reliably and accurately and I'd be stuck in 7.62x39 with no option of easily or quickly switching calibers. Plus I'd have to scream out "Wolverines" everywhere I went.

The thing that sucks, is that here in OK, you can't hunt with a suppressor (or an SBR if I'm reading the regs right), so it rules out the best use of this gun for me.

I'd play with it using sub-sonic .30 cal ammo, but if I can't hunt with it aside from using a 14.5" barrel at a minimum (and I have to ruin a 51-Tooth MITER QD connector to do that) and no suppressor while hunting, its almost worthless to me.

Maybe I'll start hunting in a state that doesn't hate what the media has painted as "scary guns with shoulder thingies that stick up" some day.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me what's the obsession with building AK-47 on AR platform? Well ... minus the double the cost ... and expensive ammo ... and AR "reliability".

Or is it just a way of admitting that com-bloc came up with ultimate small-arms cartridge back in 1943, without actually admitting to it ... or making the rifle look like AK-47 because, ummmm ... that's for commies and gangsters, right?

Some want a more accurate platform with a huge accessory market that shoots cheap ammo. Some want the same platform with better terminal ballistics. Neither of these have anything to do with .300 Blk. That's the search for a convenient, accurate platform from which to launch susonic projectiles. Fom all initial reports, it seems to excel at that. Add a 16" barrel with supersonic ammo and it looks like a decent short to mid range deer caliber as well.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I admit to being wrong - with barrels under $200, and brass available over the counter for $.25 - there is no reason not to build one: you get AR accuracy with AK-type round - WIN / WIN.

How is reliability with direct impingement and low velocities?

Latest posts

Top Bottom