.308 Ammo for Elk?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’re looking for factory ammo the federal terminal ascent is great stuff, if a bit pricey. It’s marketed towards elk hunters too. I’ve found it to be consistent out of my stuff.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've killed 10 or 11 elk at longer than normal ranges with a 30-06 using Barnes 168 grain TTSX.
The only bullet I've recovered was from the neck at over 400 yards. It was fully expanded and retained 97% of its initial weight. (I think the ballistic tip made up the 3% that wasn't recovered) All the rest including some at longer ranges have been complete pass throughs with zero runs after. They just dropped. Posted pics of every kill on this forum over the years.
What you want in heavier game is a bullet that will retain all the weight it can so the kenetic energy can drive that bullet through hide and bone to get to the vitals.
The .308 only lacks a hundred or so feet per second when compared to the 30-06 so it will do just fine. It's not well known as a long distance round but on the hunt I suspect the OP is going on, the range won't be much of an issue. The bullet choice will be the issue for a clean kill.
Some of the other suggestions like the nosler partition will probably work just fine but I don't have any experience with them.
Just the Barnes.

sklfco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
These are what I use, kinda like a VW bug going through that plate glass window. They aren’t as accurate as some of the newer bonded BT offerings but hunting isn’t a X ring sport.
Good luck on the raffle.

E3E5A55A-FB8D-4393-9F41-34D7751B3418.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom