All around Okie cartridge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just used a 7mm-08 or 30-30 in Oklahoma. Never gone elk hunting. I’d assume the 7mm-08 would be fine on elk at distances at < 100 yards..

Last edited:

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The .300 savage has almost identical ballistics as the .308. If I read correctly, the .308 was developed long after the .300 when the .300 savage was being considered for military service. I've always wondered why a new cartridge was designed to compete against a proven older cartridge that mirror the almost identical ballistics.
Patent violations or did someone's brother-in-law get a heads-up to design the .308 so it could be chosen? Tin foil hat off now, but always wondered why that happened.
My understanding is that the military used the 300 Savage as the basis for the 308. The military wanted a longer neck so it would feed more reliably from machine guns.

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Probably will never hunt elk or bear if that was on the menu then my .308 will take care of anything we have in Okie country. Leaving those 2 critters off the menu then there is only one choice that is my go to for anything and that is my 22-250 shooting a 55 gn V-max. It will take anything we have inhabiting western Oklahoma. That 22-250 has always been my go to, had it over 40yrs. My son claims if I can see it I'm gonna hit it, that use to be the truth but " old eyes are not what they use to be".

Clackamas Jack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.30-06 or .308 is the closest thing to a do it all cartridge, just on basis of bullet availability and weight range. The .270 doesn't have the range in bullet weights.
.30 cal bullets from 100 -220 gr, in lead, SP, HP and solids.
.270 has 130, 140 and 150 gr.

Love my .260 and it has more bullet selection than .270. But .30-06 is king
Closest contender would be 7 Rem Mag
The 130 grain to 150 grain are the most common but I have some 96 grain 270 Win Norma stuff for thr smaller stuff that would work well.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good point. Lol. This has been a fun post, I enjoy the discussion.

i've hunted and killed alot of squirrels ( hundreds) and I only used a .22 to the head or air rifle.
Head shots were all that were allowed according to John Henry (my grand dad). And if you wasted a boolit, you were beaten. (he was a mean old man, no one liked)
However, grandma liked the brains, but that wasnt my issue, it was dads, as a kid.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was 17 (1981) and getting my first centerfire and large game gun my dad (being a WWII vet) told me to get an '06. I did and never looked back. Bear, deer, antelope, hogs and many varmints have been laid to rest. I have many guns to choose from today but the gun you have confidence in is best. I remember several years back I was in a predator tourney w a friend. I didn't have time to check tune on the AR or other guns so I grabbed "Old Faithful", the 700ADL '06. We had to run our calling sets loop to our best wind advantage and the first set was -100yds from a small farm house. Scoring was yotes 1 point, cats and foxes 2 points. At first crack of light from 165yds I dropped 2 bobcats about 5 seconds apart with 165grbt. Crazy irony of distance and bullet weight. The thunderous roll rattled the windows and may have loosened the mortar on that farmhouse chimney. We took to hootin' and hollerin' as the house lights came on. Very rare and uncommon does any team have 4 points in first 5 minutes of a tournament. Helluva start and yes we won that day and that is the only tournament of 5 or 6 total entered I've won ( 3 cats and 3 dogs total - 9 points ). OLD FAITHFULL !!!

Last edited:

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve just used a 7mm-08 or 30-30 in Oklahoma. Never gone elk hunting. I’d assume the 7mm-08 would be fine on elk at distances at < 100 yards..
By choice I'm down to one scoped bolt action hunting rifle so my do it all cartridge is the 7mm-08.

I wouldn't feel a bit under gunned using the 08' on elk with a good bullet like 140 gr. Accubonds, Partitions, Interlocks or even Gamekings.

Pondering on it, I also wouldn't feel under gunned using my 15" 6.5x55 Swede Encore handgun on elk size animals either with a good 140 gr premium bullet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom