308 for deer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I currently have a 300 win mag, but it just has a lot of recoil. I'm looking for something smaller like a 308 with 150 grain bullets. Should I consider a bigger grain or is 150 enough?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
hello and welcome to the forum.the 308 is plenty for deer.you could even go 243 if the possibility of elk was not a concern.i shoot 30-06,308 and 243 for deer in oklahoma.never tracked a one more than 100 yards.

Tampabucs

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I looked at the 243, but I think I'm going to go with the 308 for the wide variety of loads. The main thing is I don't want to track them, but I don't want a ton of recoil either.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 308 with a quality 150gr bullet is more than enough. You should always be prepared to track your deer. There is no such thing as a round that "knocks 'em down" 100% of the time.

I've seen a 243 drop them in their tracks and I've seen deer shot through the heart with a 338 Win Mag run over 100 yards.

300WSM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet more deer have been killed with 30-30s than anything else. 125 grain round nose. The reason one would go with a more powerful round is higher speed for farther effective kills. In the woods, i dont think you would get a shot more than 100 yds, but if youre out west or on the plains where there are no trees you might shoot a little farther.

aturp

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would be willing to bet more deer have been killed with 30-30s than anything else. 125 grain round nose. The reason one would go with a more powerful round is higher speed for farther effective kills. In the woods, i dont think you would get a shot more than 100 yds, but if youre out west or on the plains where there are no trees you might shoot a little farther.

30-30 is what I've always used, 150 grain. Haven't lost one yet. Like you said theres really not a shot in the woods over 100 yards.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You might consider a 300wsm, I use to have the 300wm and went to the wsm cause of a bad back and neck. I use 150gr Winchester Power Points, and the recoil doesn't bother me at all where as the wm I could only shoot 4 or 5 rounds before I had a head ache and my back hurt. As far as tracking deer after you shoot them about the only thing that will drop them where they stand 100% of the time is H-Bomb. I shot a doe with my 300 perfect shot and she went about 70 yards, my nephew shot a Buck (177lb) with an 80gr 243 and dropped him in his tracks. My point is there is no caliber that will drop a deer 100% of the time unless you hit the spine or blow it's head off.

Latest posts

Top Bottom