308 win with small rifle primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lapua makes small primer brass and Midway USA has it in stock.
Only thing I have heard was it was made for the high pressures that some bench rest shooters inflict on their cases.
I have bought 300 large rifle .308 Lapua cases and those pockets will stretch if you try and push it.

I could not get in an upper accuracy node with them as the volume was too little in the case so I use Winchester cases for that.
Lapua cases were then used with 41.5-43gr of Varget or 4064 and 165/168 gr bullets.
Around start loads.

That 46 or 47 gr did not work in my Lapua cases.
Some loaders used a long drop tube to get those sticks to stack better and found pockets stretched quickly.
Small primer pockets helped that.

I have heard in cold weather the small primer pocket 308 brass will have some delay.
Some reading if you want to know some more stuff.
I never felt the need for them.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/what-does-small-primer-308-brass-do-for-me.3999373/

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lapua makes small primer brass and Midway USA has it in stock.
Only thing I have heard was it was made for the high pressures that some bench rest shooters inflict on their cases.
I have bought 300 large rifle .308 Lapua cases and those pockets will stretch if you try and push it.

I could not get in an upper accuracy node with them as the volume was too little in the case so I use Winchester cases for that.
Lapua cases were then used with 41.5-43gr of Varget or 4064 and 165/168 gr bullets.
Around start loads.

That 46 or 47 gr did not work in my Lapua cases.
Some loaders used a long drop tube to get those sticks to stack better and found pockets stretched quickly.
Small primer pockets helped that.

I have heard in cold weather the small primer pocket 308 brass will have some delay.
Some reading if you want to know some more stuff.
I never felt the need for them.

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/what-does-small-primer-308-brass-do-for-me.3999373/
I have not noticed the primer pocket stretch with lapua cases. I run 45gr 4064/ 168gr. They only 4 firings. I need to go check them….
I believe I have a whole mess of 45acp small pistol primer.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Windward01

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using Lapua 308 Palma brass for the last year. Comparing LRP and SRP loads ( I loaded 50 rounds each for a test) I found the SRP loads were around 20 FPS slower than the LRP loads. I did a some research on the cold weather problem and found that the problems appear to be with light powder loads. Using 43.4 gr of Varget and 175 gr SMK bullets I haven't had any problems in cold weather (down to 20F).

Latest posts

Top Bottom