.38 super/.38 auto

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bought some brass for my .38 super and in the mix was some .38 auto/a.c.p. Brass. I am loading this for my light wieght commander and,as i am new to this reloading addiction, would it be alright to load the .38 auto brass to .38 super specs.? Thanks in advance for your help.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have never loaded 38 Super, but to be on the safe side I would not. Maybe being over cautious but I always try to play it safe when reloading.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should really have a reloading book if you're reloading. It will have recipes for both cartridges, with max pressure data and powder weights for comparison as well.

DRSNINER

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a reloading book,several in fact,and you are correct the books say it should be no problem if i dont try and push to hard but fist hand knowledge can be invaluable. Unless of course you are stating the obvious,"You really should have a reloading book".

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part of my problem with the idea is if someone somehow got hold of them and thought they were safe to fire in a 38acp firearm. Not likely I know, but stranger things have happened.

Buzzdraw

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've loaded and fired 10's of thousands of Super 38's. Some were in in old .38 Auto cases I'd imagine. The PSI for the Super is a good bit hotter than the old .38Auto. The +P version of the Super is even hotter yet. If you can be certain that you can control you handloads, to keep them away from any increasing rare .38 Auto you'll do fine.

If you happen to own firearms in both a .38 Super and a .38 Auto, then the caveat above applies in spades!

BTW, if your Lightweight Commander is in extra nice condition, then it may be valuable. Regardless, I'd suggest loads on the low end of the scale to make the gun (and your hand) enjoy your range visits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom