223 Rem Brass Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Question 1
Please look at the primer pocket in the brass pictured. I have no issues getting small rifle primers in the Hornady brass (right). But for the IVI brass (left) the small rifle primers won't go in. Looks like the IVI brass has some kind of lining inside the primer pocket. Is the IVI brass trash and not reloadable?

Question 2
As stupid as this looks I got a piece of brass stuck really good in this resizing die. I've tried clamping the die and twisting it out with channel locks and tapping it out but no luck. I think there's a tool for this but sadly I'm don't have it and Cabelas didn't either. Anyone close the north Yukon help me out on this?

Thanks for your help and advice. Most appreciated. Drew

Attachments

• IMG_1736.jpeg
    IMG_1736.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1733.jpeg
    IMG_1733.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Coug91

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IVI is crimped. Needs to be reamed or dexrimped. Hornady makes a nice reamer. The Lyman one sucks.
You'll need a stuck case puller. I'm nearly Guthrie.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use a tool like this on crimped primer pockets, although this is not the right way and as Coug91 said there are better tools you can use. The bit on the end actually unscrews from the handle so you can wrap it in tape and chuck it in a cordless drill and make quick work. You'll learn by feel how much is needed to remove the crimp.

cy1sNTAwLmpwZw

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have a Lee die .
Your Lee die has a mandrel in it that you can remove from the die.
Or take the threaded lock nut off the top of the lee die and tap tap tap that rod down and it will push the case out.

On the freezer die method.
I have not done that but when I was reloading in the full sun at the range I could not push my .308 case shoulders back no matter how i adjusted the die.

Seems that heat from the sun enlarged the die just enough to cause this.

I found out by cooking my press in the oven and that was not it and then cooked the die and that is what caused my issue.

I would heat the die to 125-140 or so and add some wd40 or remoil or some kind of oil into the die and then pound the case out with the Lee mandrel.

I would not use a drill or easy out as that should not be needed and one wrong slip and goodby die.

Latest posts

Top Bottom