3rd gen smiths

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a bunch, but have only managed to hang on to a 4053. The trigger is like a really nice double action revolver trigger. It was originally designed for 10mm so it's going to last forever.
I wish I had all the 10xx and 45xx models that I owned at one time, but the last of those went during my last period of unemployment. Sigh.
Mags are getting hard to find and/or expensive too.

TheGunSnob

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a bunch, but have only managed to hang on to a 4053. The trigger is like a really nice double action revolver trigger. It was originally designed for 10mm so it's going to last forever.
I wish I had all the 10xx and 45xx models that I owned at one time, but the last of those went during my last period of unemployment. Sigh.
Mags are getting hard to find and/or expensive too.
yeah i ordered a couple mags for my 1076 and gave 100 each and the cs40 was almost as bad at 65

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When the sheriff's dept I worked for transitioned to semi-autos in the late 80s I bought a 645 and carried that until I found a 4505. Fantastic, reliable guns. When I went to work in my last law enforcement job (working for the sheriff's dept in the little town where I lived after I retired from the PD) they issued 4006 TSWs. Started my career and ended my career with them. Carried a lot of other guns in between...mostly Glocks and 1911s in one form or another.

I've had lots of 3rd gen S&W autos and liked them all. Never had a problem with any of them. One of the 4506 pistols I had would feed empty brass from a magazine most of the time. I learned that trying to set up malfunction drills expecting it to hang up. Instead it would feed the empty brass and I'd just get a click. Still a malfunction...just surprised me. I've never had a gun that would do that.

zipty6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Much like Chinese food, I've really tried to like the 3rd gens. In both cases, I just couldn't do it.

The 3rd gens don't point well for me, the double action triggers feel "springy," and I haven't been willing to burn enough ammo to master the double-action to single-action transition of the TDA trigger.

Chinese food is just gross.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There‘s a third Gen 6906 for sale now in the classifieds. One of the odd ducks when it comes to the model number - the fourth digit normally means a SS frame, but not in this case. Should be “6903“ - go figure.

Biff Nado

Marksman
Reaction score
I like the look and the variety they made, but they have their share of issues. I’ve never had one blow up in my face but I’ve had the plastic floor plates on two of my mags fail during practice. I wouldn’t trust my life to one, but I own three of them so obviously I like them.

Leadlobber

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20200907_124106.jpg
My 639 has never failed , I guess I could always throw it if it did ,it is as heavy as a brick .