40 s&w

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking back to an article which I read many years ago in which it stated that the FBI wanted a round in between the 9mm(parabellum) and the .45acp. If I remember right, it was the late '80s. I was designed by Smith and Wesson. Most calibers are named after the ammo. designer. IE: 45 acp= .45 automatic Colt pistol., ,357 remington magnum= remington, and so on. So a Glock 23 = .40s&w.

vooduchikn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm thinking back to an article which I read many years ago in which it stated that the FBI wanted a round in between the 9mm(parabellum) and the .45acp. If I remember right, it was the late '80s. I was designed by Smith and Wesson. Most calibers are named after the ammo. designer. IE: 45 acp= .45 automatic Colt pistol., ,357 remington magnum= remington, and so on. So a Glock 23 = .40s&w.

Readers digest version:

The FBI go to round was going to be 10MM (NORMA). When it was determined that the recoil was too heavy, the 10MM light (typical crap you get off the shelf these days) was created by lowering the charge. When the grip was determined too large for women and people with small hands, the .40SW was created by shortening the watered down 10MM, Smith and Wesson created the round and thus it was named. The devolution of a badass cartridge was then complete.

The velocities of todays 10MM and .40 are very similar with the exception of Buffalo Bore or TAP brands.

I have Chronoed some 10MM against my .40 handloads and my .40SW exceed some of them. I have also Chronoed some of my 10MM shot from Glock 20SF - 1350FPS on a 180 SPEER GDHP

Full house 10MM loads are hot, as they should be, and I can see why the FBI would want to lighten the recoil for female and smaller framed weak wristed individuals. :fart:

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
O wow I did not know all of tha,t thanks alot for the help. It was very helpful. So what would be better all around a 10mm or .40 S&W

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Personally, I love the 10mm, and I can handle the recoil. Ammo is hard to find, and expensive unless you reload.
.40 is used a lot by LEO and competition shooters in USPSA.
Lots of citizens have not adopted it, as the high velocity results in recoil, and they have a concept they can't handle it.

With proper grip, the 10MM is a great SD and hunting round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom