.41 Magnum loading.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becker_atc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad and I both shoot .41 magnum. His is a 6.5" ruger and mine is a 4" smith 57. He told me he is about out of ammo so I picked up a box of 500 215 gr. LSWC from JK bullets in the Moore.

In the past I loaded 210 gr semi jacketed HP over some 296 for his (mine still on a factory diet till I run out). But am currently out of both powder and bullet. Not seen anything in my manuals for a 215 gr bullet (Lyman, hornady, and speer 12th)or on various manufactures web sites.

I have W231, universal, tite group, and lil gun on hand (various amounts) but a new powder can be had.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.41 is my favorite caliber. I use cast bullets for ".41 special" loads up through midrange stuff and jacketed for hot stuff.

I load for a Blackhawk, a Smith 657, a 14" Contender barrel and a Marlin carbine.

Let me compile a little info and will repost.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
.41 is my favorite caliber. I use cast bullets for ".41 special" loads up through midrange stuff and jacketed for hot stuff.

I load for a Blackhawk, a Smith 657, a 14" Contender barrel and a Marlin carbine.

Let me compile a little info and will repost.

That would be great, I'd be interested in some cast info as well.

Coonskinner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a 41 fan myself.

When I lived in Kansas I had a buddy who ould load them for me if I bought the powder, lead, and brass.

Wish I had a hookup like that here. :)

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
With the 215 grain cast swc, I have been loading 16 grains of 2400 or 18 grains of AA#9 with a standard large pistol primer. Those work well in both my contender and my revolvers. As usual, what works in my guns may work differently in yours. I would suggest starting a little lower and working up with either powder to see which load your particular gun likes. Good luck.. Blitzfike

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use these on your own responsibility. I am not liable if you blow something up.

I have been having lot of fun with a generic brand lead 225gr cowboy style bullet. Kind of a round nose with a flat point… with 8 grains of Unique or 12gr of blue dot (because I got a BUNCH at an auction). Powder puff but aids in trying to shoot the Blackhawk quickly at bouncing cans. My plan is to begin bumping up the load to find better power (and use up the Blue Dot faster) but keep the recoil at a minimum. Should be a pretty easy. Not really looking for bullseye accuracy….just fun.

I also have shot a jillion 215gr lead SWC plinking and paper punching with the Blackhawk. 9 grains of Unique. Unique is dirty but easy to use. The more I use the cowboy bullet above, the more I think I will not bother getting any more of these SWC.

A little warmer load (but still really soft) I like a lot is Berry’s 210gr copper plated TC style bullet with either 7.2 gr of 231 or 10gr of Unique. I want to work up a stouter load with this bullet and try it in the Marlin too but have not gotten around to it. Long time ago I used a copper plated TC from a now-dead company that I liked a lot….had a nice hot load with that bullet that did not lead the barrel so I am hoping the same for this Berry’s bullet.

Once in a while I will see 240gr lead bullets for sale. Intriguing but I have not tried them. Yet. Lyman does list loads for it.

The load I shoot most in my 657 and the contender barrel is a Nosler 210 gr HP with a max load of 296. I compared Winchester’s data with a couple of others. Forgive me for not writing that one down here. Pretty stout and seems to be accurate but I have bad eyes. Never seen any high pressure signs. Have also been using a load with 17gr of 2400 and I like it too. Little less recoil and not on the max edge.

The Blackhawk can handle the hot loads…but I don’t really have fun shooting it loaded to the max. The fireball of a max load of 296 out of the 4 5/8” barrel is impressive.

My Marlin doesn’t like lead bullets. Probably the Microgroove rifling. In spite of it being a long gun, all the stuff I read says not to load it any heavier that a handgun. So I don’t. The velocity gains come from the longer barrel and not a hotter load. I use the Nosler 210 gr load above too but the most accurate load I have found for it is Sierra’s 220gr FP silhouette bullet with a max load of 296. Fun times! My bad eyes and peep sights keep me from doing any better than 4” at a hundred but I am sure a scope or younger eyes would cut this down a bunch.

I really want a chronograph.

Latest posts

Top Bottom