44 Mag Redhawk "initial impression"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Picked up the Redhawk...I've not shot a .44 mag much...yep, they kick! Its going to take a bit of getting used to for sure. I shot through a box of .44 mag off the shelf stuff, and bought a box (100 qty) of .44 Mag reloads against my better judgement. About 40 rounds into the reloads I got a squib load (2nd ever squib load). Thankfully it didnt get stuck between the cylinder and barrel. I'll call that a fluke I hope and see how the rest do. These reloads are likely loaded more like 44 special, they are significantly softer shooting than the stuff I got from Walmart. If any others are issues, I'll just pull them all down and order some dies. Looking at the brass, so far about 75% of it is Starline so I've got that going for me.

I also ordered some Williams Fire Sights for it. Once I saw how simple it was to upgrade sights on a Redhawk, it seemed like a no brainer.

32949501_1911001028945117_2961970968156700672_n.jpg

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I educated myself a bit on the Redhawk vs Super Redhawk...pretty interesting.

Redhawk is a standaone design initially for these big calibers and a Super Redhawk is a scaled up GP100 and shares many internal parts as such...and the Super weighs almost a pound more.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I educated myself a bit on the Redhawk vs Super Redhawk...pretty interesting.

Redhawk is a standaone design initially for these big calibers and a Super Redhawk is a scaled up GP100 and shares many internal parts as such...and the Super weighs almost a pound more.
Yep. The Super will handle heavier loads the internet experts say, which is part of the reason for the extra weight as well as the beefier frame.
The Super Redhawk is what I bring to the E&S's for those to shoot that have never experienced one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Redhawk will handle loads beyond anything I wanna wrap my fingers around. No need for the Super :D
LOL, I bring pretty mild loads for those that have never had an explosion go off in their hands. My heavy hunting loads are pretty crazy, but your correct, the Redhawk will handle loads that would cause a S&W to fail.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I like the classic lines of the Redhawk, but I wish they would do one with the post style grip of all their other double action guns. I believe the redhawk dates back to the Security Six days, and has more in common with them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom