.454 casull/ruger super redhawk alaskan question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand you can fire .45 long colt in a .454 casull ruger SR alaskan. Anybody know if you can shoot .45 auto rim through it safely? :cannon:

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting question.

For one thing, isn't 45colt/454 casull sized .454 where .45acp/autorim is .452?

Actually the 454 casul is just the cartridge name. It uses a .452 diameter bullet.

To answer the OPs question; as long as you are using a moon clip to hold the cartridges, you should be fine. If you attempt to load the revolver without the clip, the cartridges will go all the way in the cylinder and the will not fire.

Chas

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly 45 colt barrells prior to WW2 had a groove diameter of .454 and those after are .451-.452.

The 45 auto rim's cartridge rim is .030 to .040 thicker than the 45 colt or 454casull 's rim. If you managed to close the cylinder (which I doubt) it would probally bind trying to rotate. There are also some case difference's that I think would play havoc with chamber pressures and such.

The short answer would be: I wouldn't shoot 45 auto rim in anything but a revolver designed for 45acp with moon clips or 45 auto rim.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I remember correctly 45 colt barrells prior to WW2 had a groove diameter of .454 and those after are .451-.452.

The 45 auto rim's cartridge rim is .030 to .040 thicker than the 45 colt or 454casull 's rim. If you managed to close the cylinder (which I doubt) it would probally bind trying to rotate. There are also some case difference's that I think would play havoc with chamber pressures and such.

The short answer would be: I wouldn't shoot 45 auto rim in anything but a revolver designed for 45acp with moon clips or 45 auto rim.

You know, as soon as I read your post a memory about .45 auto rim's rim being oddly thick came to mind. I remember that now from folks sometimes wondering about the auto rim in a single action .45LC. Thanks Chas, you da man. A buddy of mine does shoot .45 schofeild(sp) in a DA taurus .45LC revolver. Says it's a real efficient use of powder. Thanks all for your replies. OSA's great!!

sabot_round

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

****, I guess I misread and jump the gun. Mistaken it for the 45 ACP.

Latest posts

Top Bottom