6.5 Grendel Upper

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, received the upper. Very nice too!

I've attached it to my ruger 556 lower.

The 5 round ACS magazine wont lock in place but the 25 round will.

A quality scope is in the future but for now it's a 3x9 tasco pop had when he passed.

Shot it today and the bolt wouldn't full cycle. FTE was a regular occurrence but managed to get the scope sighted ....I'm ashamed to say how many rounds for 50 yards.

Came home an cleaned the bolt group, will try again tomorrow, weather permitting.

BlackDeath

Marksman
Reaction score
Are you running a standard buffer weight?
If it's under 20" I would guess it's a mid length I gas system. What bullet weight were you shooting? I have a 20" rifle length and have no problem cycling Hornady Black with a std buffer in a carbine tube. Kak makes an adjustable buffer kit that comes with tungsten steel and aluminum weights to tune.

Last edited:

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you running a standard buffer weight?
If it's under 20" I would guess it's a mid length I gas system. What bullet weight were you shooting? I have a 20" rifle length and have no problem cycling Hornady Black with a std buffer in a carbine tube. Kak makes an adjustable buffer kit that comes with tungsten steel and aluminum weights to tune.

I'm new to ARs but the make sense.

I've placed this PSA upper, 18 inch barrel on a Ruger 556 lower, it sports a 16 inch barrel.

I'll do some checking to discover which buffer I should get.

Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:

BlackDeath

Marksman
Reaction score
Another thing I've run across is the gas tube and bcg alignment causing cycling issues. If the gas tube is misaligned slightly where it overlaps the gas key it can cause the bcg to drag.

A way to test the friction is to pull the bcg back a few inches and tilt the upper with barrel down. The bcg should slide forward and into the barrel lugs at about a 45 deg angle. If it doesn't you can tweak the gas tube to center up in the reciever also check the diameter as I've seen some tubes that were the wrong size. Finally you can look at the gas block for leaks, you will see carbon buildup around the barrel. Here's a video I found on the tilt test.

ira41magfan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks again however it's just occurred to me that there is a long hex key, about 8 inches. Perhaps this is for adjusting the gas block, its said to be adjustable on PSAs description. I'll look into this later.

mgw750

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is mine, 20 inch wilson combat barrel.

Attachments

• 20190709_135619.jpg
    20190709_135619.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Top Bottom