6.5x284

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have found a 6.5x284 for sale. Believed to be 1 in 10 twist. Commercial mauser action made in Belgium. It has a Bell and Carlson black stock with a sling. It has a very good trigger and a 23inch barrel of unknown origin. The barrel is bedded and has Redfield base and rings. Don't know the weight but it is the sporter type. I have not seen it yet, but this is the description from a man I trust and knows a lot about guns. He is selling it for a friend who is in the hospital. I will be able to see it in a few weeks. Wants $375 for it. How does this sound in your opinion.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on the round count. if he has put 1500 rounds thru it you will need to replace the barrel. Then it might not be such a good deal. If the round count is 100 and the rifle is in pretty good condition then id buy it.

shortgrass

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That 'round count' depends on how hard the owner has her throttled up (fps). If he is shooting in the 2800 fps range that barrel should run for a total round count of about 2500 rounds. Barrel life also depend on the care it has or has not gotten. 1 in 10 twist won't make for 140g. or heavier bullets so he's been above that 2800 fps mark. Barrels don't always have to be replace, sometimes they can be set back so you have lands and grooves not worked on so hard. If you rebarrel think in the range of a $550/$600 price range.

okjoek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I appreciate the info, I too am concerned about the round count. I e-mailed the man and asked him right after he told me about it, just haven't heard back yet. He is an older gent and will tell me anything he can about the gun, its just that it is not his so I hope he knows. The man that owns it has owned it for several years and has never shot it, I don't know where he got it, hopefully I can find out more.