416 Taylor - An Interesting Pickup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First off, shout out to @adamsredlines for dealing with my excitement on this one. I needed someone to get excited to and he's a classy dude for letting me blow up his PMs.

Why am I excited? Because I like big dumb toys, and I got a new one. Obviously in the most readily available one possible --- the 416 Taylor. Now, while I'd like to say I'm an expert in this niche genre of rifles, I'm really not. I'm going down this road because the rifle shoots a big ole bullet and I got it for a solid price. This one happens to be built on a CZ VZ24 action and is going make me wait to get it to the range. Why? Well --- So far, here's what I know ---

1. You cannot take 416 Rem Mag brass and resize it. I originally thought this and I was wrong. Learning more about it, 416RM is based off the 8mmRM case and not the 458 Win Mag case. Soooo I've gotta search for 458 Win brass, or the even more elusive "actually head stamped 416 Taylor" brass. I suppose the latter is out there, but I really do not want to pay nearly $4 each for just the case. Sheesh!
2. While not based the same, 416 Taylor has comparable ballistics to the 416RM, 416 Rigby and other big boomer rifles. You give up a few FPS but it fits in a standard action.
3. After getting it in today, the rifle was much nicer in person than the pictures I saw before I got it. There are a few flaws on the metal, but it looks like the were way in the past and the metal was treated since. Considering the VZ24's haven't been made since 1942, I think it's doing good.
4. Nice touches I didn't know about till I got it? Well, it's bedded, and it has a "Bold" trigger. IIRC that was made as a working class version of a Timney trigger by Robert Boyd? Either way, testing it is light, but not "hair". And notably, the safety works just fine. Reading up, it seems like not all triggers you could add to the VZ24 would keep the safety working.
5. Dies are also super hard to come by. From what it looks like, Lee makes some that share the same part number as a 6.5-300Weatherby set. So that doesn't make it confusing at all. My next options though start around 160-250 bucks for the dies.

Start of a project for sure, it'll be fun when I finally get the equipment in to make some rounds for this beast. That said, if anyone has brass or dies they want to let go of let me know and you get invited to the try it out session ;)

1707979097899.png

Bonus fun fact --- I might have been the only person in the world buying a 416 Taylor while the Superbowl was going on and people were all mad about Taylor swift being shown. Random coincidence, but funny.

Last edited:

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I'm jelly!!! That is my favorite big caliber! Recoil is stout but more a big long shove instead of a sudden smack with a sledge hammer! I've never owned one, but I have hunted with one and even on big big stuff it worked great. If I was ever near bigger stuff, elk on up, to hunt I would have one! Great to see one still alive!!!?

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And too bad it's not 2011 again lol...

View attachment 453900
Yeah... I've been seeing a lot of those memories. Any also having fun locally checking to make sure no one has anything I can use. Jerry's was my best hope, but as much as Jerry likes the big toys, I'm maybe the only person that goes in there looking for dumb stuff like this so he doesn't carry it. Sportsworld sometimes has weird calibers but not this weird. And the internet seems to be sold out except for sketchy drop ship type places. Even on the basic brass like in that add.

I suppose there's always hope from the dude on Armslist that goes by "Brassy Ben". He's actually had some very random calibers like this over the years.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, boy! You're right up my alley now! I love the big stuff. I never got to shoot one, but a good friend of mine was shop foreman at Champlin Firearms for years and gave me a dummy round. He was forming them from 458WM back then (God rest his soul), and he's been gone for 28 years. Good luck with your search, and I'm really looking forward to a range report! (and PICS!!!)

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, boy! You're right up my alley now! I love the big stuff. I never got to shoot one, but a good friend of mine was shop foreman at Champlin Firearms for years and gave me a dummy round. He was forming them from 458WM back then (God rest his soul), and he's been gone for 28 years. Good luck with your search, and I'm really looking forward to a range report! (and PICS!!!)
I'm looking forward to getting it out. I have something I want to fill full of holes after a company refused to stand behind their product (so I'm going to shoot it for the YouTube) and would love those holes to be .416 sized. That oughta be a good test to see what would happen if a wild Cricut machine was charging me in the wild after all.

1708017821097.png

Last edited:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to getting it out. I have something I want to fill full of holes after a company refused to stand behind their product (so I'm going to shoot it for the YouTube) and would love those holes to be .416 sized. That oughta be a good test to see what would happen if a wild Cricut machine was charging me in the wild after all.
Look no further lol. I bought a bag of 10 at a gun show a long time ago and they penetrated way further into the dirt pile than 400gr Nosler partitions did, as expected though.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27668

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Look no further lol. I bought a bag of 10 at a gun show a long time ago and they penetrated way further into the dirt pile than 400gr Nosler partitions did, as expected though.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/27668
Good option --- I do love me some Barnes. I did manage to buy a pile of 150ish 410gr Wooleigh bonded bullets with this thing though, so I'll try to use those first. I may try to look around and find the cheapest possible 416 cal bullets that I can if I make test rounds though. Depending how I get brass to reform, sometimes I make low-end charges with cheap bullets to shoot from a first-pass-after-forming round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom