7.62 x 39 ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hunter_55

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have recently converted my SKS with a Tapco Intrafusion Kit with the lower and upper rails along with a NcStar SKS Tri-rail & Receiver Cover. I also have added rails to my Yugo AK. I want to now start shooting but with so many ammo brands I haven't shot these enough to form an opinion on what works best. I have had one person say that Golden Bear shoots well and others tell me to stay away from the Wolf ammo.

My real question is probably rhetorical, but won't most of these ammo's work ok as long as you keep your rifles clean? Even with the top ammo you will have fouling if you don't clean your weapons. What do you guys shoot and where do you purchase most of it? I have found Sportsmans Guide to give me the best prices most of the time.

RangerRandP

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shoot both Wolf and Academy's brand. I can not remember the name, but it is the steel case polymer coated stuff in the blue boxes. The Wolf would most likely be cheapest online, but can be found locally. They both work great for me out of an SKS or AK platform.

As far as what ammo to use that comes down to what works best in your gun. If I was looking to find what works best buy about a 100 rounds of each per gun and go to the range. Try them and find one that works well in both guns and run with it.

Remember you are dealing with milsurp type guns you shouldn't really expect sub moa type accuracy. just have fun and find what works for you.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have both formats and have shot regular black box Wolf and the Military Classic. Both have performed exceptionally. I looked at it this way. The Russians designed and built the guns, they ought to know how to build the ammo for it.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot both Wolf and Academy's brand. I can not remember the name, but it is the steel case polymer coated stuff in the blue boxes. The Wolf would most likely be cheapest online, but can be found locally. They both work great for me out of an SKS or AK platform.

As far as what ammo to use that comes down to what works best in your gun. If I was looking to find what works best buy about a 100 rounds of each per gun and go to the range. Try them and find one that works well in both guns and run with it.

Remember you are dealing with milsurp type guns you shouldn't really expect sub moa type accuracy. just have fun and find what works for you.

monarch is barnaul which is brown bear. Personally i've used wolf, golden tiger and brown bear and monarch with zero problems from any of them

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use whatever I can get the cheapest in my SKS and AK. As long as it cycles the gun I'm fine with it.

These rifles and this caliber ain't never gonna win Camp Perry, so I've never seen accuracy as an issue.