7mm-08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevencmt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I know this probably belongs in the rifle section, but I need an answer fast. I'm looking at a 7mm-08 by Thomson for an antelope/muley hunt. What so you think?

longrangepistol

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have shot the 7mm-08 for 15 years throughout New Mexico, Colorado and Arizona hunting mule deer, antelope and elk. My gun is a slightly modified Savage Super Striker pistol (see avatar) that will shoot 1/2'' MOA at 100 with pet handloads and 1'' MOA with good old over the counter Remington factory ammunition. I have never lost an animal hit by this round. It's accuracy is superb and the recoil isn't bad, in a pistol. In a rifle it's even better!

Here is a link to more information about this great round.

http://www.members.tripod.com/sed88/rem7/

and another link on ballistics within the above link.
http://www.members.tripod.com/sed88/rem7/compare.html

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
7-08 is an excellent choice for a mountain rifle. Maybe also consider the
.308 win which would give you two things:

The ability to throw more bullet, loads are available with up to a 180 grain bullet. That makes it more legitimate for hunting elk. Hey, if you're going to muley country chances are youre going to want to go after an elk sooner or later, right?

And, a more ammo selection/availabilty. May or may not matter to you.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll have to disagree on 308 - anything over 100 yards 7mm-08 will deliver more punch even with over-the-counter 140gn bullets, with less drift and drop. Hand loads will make the performance edge even more apparent.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, it's a nice cartridge.

It may not be in the same class as the 7mmRemMag, the .264WinMag, or the .257WeatherbyMag but it's fine for what you want to do.

Good features are short action can be used, not much recoil, so a smaller/lighter rifle can be used.

Spend some time shooting it at the various distances you intend to use it (get familiar with it) then get out and hunt.

Latest posts

Top Bottom