8.6 Blackout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
338 Federal from 2006 is a round made from necking up the .308.
Then there was the 338 RCM released in 2008 to trump the velocity of the 338 Federal.

Why this super slow 338?
Yea a bigger hole and more energy but I have found the 55gr V-max at 2900fps dropped all deer and hogs I hit with it faster than any heavier bullet I have ever used.

I think the 1:3 twist is way out of the norm and that gets the round in our brains as being something very different and exciting and makes you wish you had one.

I am not falling for that again after the hype of the 6.5 CM.
I suppose if you love the sub sonic and shoot suppressed this would interest you more.

Scott3708

New to the site!
Reaction score
Purchased a load of LC 308 brass to resize to 8.6... didn't know all LC brass would have neck thickness around .017". So I bought the forester reamer... come to find out you can only ream once fired brass. Don't have any fired brass as no ammo available anywhere 8.6 BO. So bought a neck turning jig Hornady, but doesn't come with a 338 mandrel... so bought one of those. Annealed the brass with ugly Annealer, that worked awesome, bought lee 8.6 dies set, formed brass, trimmed brass 1.685" then neck trim to.008" a side, seated a bullet, behold it slide into chamber clunk, then slid out., ok on a roll. Now load testing, one round to lock back, 10g,thru 17g, nope no lock back. Went to 20g locked back and ejected 3:00. Aligent 1680, but she locks back. So that's a plus, these are 270 Hornady ELD. Just thought sub would lock back around 14 not 20, I'll keep trying.

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hornady 6.5 once refired and formed I’m getting .013. Federal 7.62 7.62 M1A brass is .016 after forming.
I’ll update when I start trying other brass.
Have some new Hornady 6.5 I am going to size down too. So far from have I have seen there shouldn’t be a need to anneal. But there’s also only two powders listed for reload data so almost SAAMI but still wildcat.

Scott3708

New to the site!
Reaction score
So far I’ve tried the AA1680 and the CFEBLK both seem to give identical ejection, but still need to Chrono to be sure. 19g of either is as low as I can go on my Aero M5 setup for 8.6 and be reliable to eject, load and lock back. I could prolly try a lighter buffer/spring combo, but for now it’s solid. The Hornady 6.5 brass and the Winchester 6.5 brass neither I had to anneal, and I didn’t need to neck turn, chambered well. But I shoot more 6.5 than the 8.6, so I’ll stick with the 308 range pickup and neck turn for now. I find when I do find a acceptable neck thickness, even If I neck turn almost nothing is removed. Still waiting for someone to come out with a case gauge. As using my AR chamber is a pain in the butt!

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So far I’ve tried the AA1680 and the CFEBLK both seem to give identical ejection, but still need to Chrono to be sure. 19g of either is as low as I can go on my Aero M5 setup for 8.6 and be reliable to eject, load and lock back. I could prolly try a lighter buffer/spring combo, but for now it’s solid. The Hornady 6.5 brass and the Winchester 6.5 brass neither I had to anneal, and I didn’t need to neck turn, chambered well. But I shoot more 6.5 than the 8.6, so I’ll stick with the 308 range pickup and neck turn for now. I find when I do find a acceptable neck thickness, even If I neck turn almost nothing is removed. Still waiting for someone to come out with a case gauge. As using my AR chamber is a pain in the butt!
Have you done any super sonic loads with the CFE BLK?
I lucky have a extra barrel for now(need another 700 short action)to check mine, but would be great for a case gauge!

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What dies are y'all using? I've been considering a 8.6 setup, just can't find components or dies... This looks like a good time to get some use from my dillon trimmer!

Lineman

5HCattle Co - Josh
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lee has a set, don’t buy the factory crimp die separately it comes with one… Hornady also is making them but have been out of stock.
If you do get Hornady I have an extra factory crimp die I’ll sell for $10 and it’s BNIB lol
I ordered the Lee die set from Midway and they were here in 2 days.
Yes your case trimmer will be definitely get a work out!

50Shooter

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just ordered an 8.6 barrel for a SBR build. How goes the 308 to 8.6 conversion? I'm in the same boat as you guys with a lot of 308 brass. I've never owned a Creedmore anything. When you say you need to turn the neck are you turning the outside of the neck or reaming the inside?

Latest posts

Top Bottom