8 Shots to Dispach a Racoon to his Reward?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did she hit it all 8 times? It looks like it, maybe 2X in the head. Thought they were supposed to avoid the head so they could test the animals brain for rabies?

I dunno if it's still that way but back in the day the lab wouldn't take it if the brain was damaged. Made for some interesting times if we had an animal that was symptomatic. And not always as humane as any of us would have liked.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dunno if it's still that way but back in the day the lab wouldn't take it if the brain was damaged. Made for some interesting times if we had an animal that was symptomatic. And not always as humane as any of us would have liked.
Yeppers, no head shots if it was going to the lab. I used a shovel to the neck. Then double plastic bagged.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kinda looks like to me she shoulda been packing a .45.

45acp.jpg

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve dispatched plenty raccoons and a few of them genuinely surprised me with how tough they are. They’ll keep fighting for a bit with severe fatal damage
Good thing that wasn't a rabid honey badger, rabid bobcat, wolf, mtn. lion or bear (bears have been spotted in N. Edmond)...

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That reminded me of a night stroll thru a buddy’s’ pastures and woods. Trying to just use our flashlights when necessary, moon light was spotty, on the way back to his ranch house he shined his light into the crotch of a tree, drew, leveled his Dan Wesson .357 mag, triggered a thunderously loud shot. Target was 3-4’ away up in the tree, fell to the ground with a thump, spitting, hacking, growling head shot raccoon. As I remember it, the .357 round put a canoe shaped split thru the top off its’ head. Was dying, but going down loud and thrashing similar to that video. Will readily admit that critters audible concerto raised my BP.

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i use a .22 rifle w CCI Quiet Semi auto, the 45 gr solid,,at close range,10-20 ft one shot just behind the shoulder goes into the heart and lungs,they always are on their side trying to get up(and never do get up),and then bleed out in 30 seconds or so,, dont need a second shot,and that ammo isnt cheap, so i carefully place my shot and its done.a good head shot on a racoon is difficult as it doesnt stand still like a possum does ,,so i dont try that and just go for the lung heart shot ,never fail me yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom