80 MPH SPEED SIGNS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe not, but if the speed limit is increased to 80, soon they'll be driving 85.

Probably see a slight increase in folks driving 85.
Most people are creatures of habit and have a comfort zone for speed already. They won't change their driving habits . I already see people driving 85-90 mph out there no matter the posted speed limit. They will continue driving like that.

The traffic fatalities / 100,000 people actually decreased for several years after the National 55 MPH was repealed in 1995. Here is a link to the Stats.
Vehicles are being made safer and safer each year so that definitely contributes to a reduction in fatalities regardless of the speeds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

HeyEng

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The speed limit on the toll road between San Antonio and Austin is 85 and folks don't run 90. For the most part, drivers will adhere to the "85% rule" in which they will travel the speed in which is prudent for conditions. The 15% are the outliers and will drive faster/slower no matter the limit.

ODOT has said that they will need to conduct traffic/safety studies prior to raising any limits, so I would say 6 months at the earliest.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They will drive 85-90 now

I already see people out here doing that. They will not change no matter what the posted speed limit Most people will continue driving as they have because people are creatures of habit and have already developed a speed comfort zone. The last few years I see most people driving about AVG 80 MPH on the Turner turnpike.

Latest posts

Top Bottom