A different perspective on price gouging

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Gouging is the wrong term. Irritating is a better description. It's not like we weren't warned.

I think what is pissing people off is that we have some members who are trying to make a big profit here, yet they never participate in anything else.

This is a great point.

dewayne

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i don't think anyone should begrudge someone making a good profit, and you do give a good analogy. I think what is pissing people off is that we have some members who are trying to make a big profit here, yet they never participate in anything else.

harley128

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've tried to sell stuff at a fair price lately, but I was thinking. If I bought a bunch of gold in 2003 for $390 an ounce, it would be foolish to sell it in 2013 for $390 an ounce, when it's worth $1700 an ounce. What I paid for it is irrelevant. Why is this same principle not accepted in the selling of ARs, lowers and mags? You can't justifiably judge the shrewd gold buyer for making a 400% profit, so why do we judge the shrewd gun collector who foresaw this coming and stocked up on these items? It just seems like hypocrisy. Just my 2 cents.

Best analogy I've seen posted. Makes sense to me. But, if there's any guilt trip setting in on selling that gold-------I'll come pick it up for what you paid!!!!!

Mos Eisley

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with what ya'll are saying. It's a whole other story to be name-calling other members who are trying to purchase items that for one reason or another they were waiting to purchase. It is, after all, THE most expense laden time of the year right now. Christmas, property taxes, income taxes, etc. Maybe they were trying to save up for something but now see the writing on the wall. Personally, I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices when these items can still be had at a normal price if you invest a little time. But, it can be frustrating.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Making a profit is one thing, but charging three times the current retail price is gouging.

See:

Not price gouging, this isn't baby formula.

This ain't gasoline, baby formula, milk, monopolized utilities. This is a transaction freely entered into by consenting parties. You can't gouge anyone in such a scenario.

ahamay6

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because the price of gold was not artificially inflated. There has been no increase in demand since the shooting, but everybody ran down and bought whatever they could just in case. That is what has driven the cost up, I'm pretty sure weve seen this before. That said, we should all sit back and relax. In about a year, there will be a lot of ammo and ar components sitting in the classifieds at dirt cheap prices because after he doesn't take them and the bottom falls out, all those gougers will be sitting on a pile of black metal worth more in scrap. I'm not worried about it, it will settle and fall, just like every other time.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have seen this as well and I have been tempted to sell an AR and 500rds of .223 ammo. However I have not been able to make myself post it on here with the price I would take for it. I agree that price gouging pertain's to necessities and AR 15's do not fall under that category (that is for most, but to us gun guys it's different.)

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Because the price of gold was not artificially inflated. There has been no increase in demand since the shooting, but everybody ran down and bought whatever they could just in case. That is what has driven the cost up, I'm pretty sure weve seen this before. That said, we should all sit back and relax. In about a year, there will be a lot of ammo and ar components sitting in the classifieds at dirt cheap prices because after he doesn't take them and the bottom falls out, all those gougers will be sitting on a pile of black metal worth more in scrap. I'm not worried about it, it will settle and fall, just like every other time.

There has been no increase in demand for certain items, but more people are buying more of those items. Did you read that before you posted it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom