New Banking Rules?!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And that was less informative than random comments on an Internet forum unrelated to banking policies?
Well, he knows that most other banks appear to do something similar to his. He knows that same basic process applies to cashier checks and money orders in addition to personal and business checks.

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's none of my business but ifin i was you? And i aint! But i would find a little mop and pop bank and get to know the people real personal like and do most of my business there. Before the cbdc?

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had a couple accounts with Capital One since the late 90’s when they bought out the bank I was using, and I really haven’t had any complaints other than there’s not a physical branch within 250 miles now.
I deposited a $23k check on Friday about noon, and as of this morning, I only have $9000 of it in “available balance” with the rest showing in “current balance”. What the heck is up with this?!? Transfers between banks are nothing but key strokes, and I know the person that gave me the check had the money.
Is this some new govt regulation that lets them hold my money for a set amount of time?!? :scratch:
Common practice in banking. A check isn't money. It's a promissory note. Read your account agreement. If you don't have matching funds on deposit a bank may hold a portion of the deposited item pending it's clearance with the issuing bank. Generally the portion that it held back will be released after one business day but depending on where the payor's bank is located that can be longer. That's why you see two "balances". Your account balance reflects the entire amount of the deposit. You're available balance is what your bank feels is a safe balance between good service and protection from potential fraud.

Latest posts

Top Bottom