A must read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind when reading this story. I apologize in advance for one of those points focusing on a negative aspect of this forum.

Officer Borders understands the police officer's role as a warrior at the deepest, most personal level. It cost him his career and much of his health. Nevertheless, when asked if he regrets the sacrifice he made, he quickly points out that we only regret the things we wish we could change, and then goes on to say that he would do everything the same way if he had it all to do over again. It's not that he isn't saddened by the way Mettinger's rampage changed his life, but that he deems Mrs. Mettinger's life as more important than his well-being. It is this kind of selfless devotion to others that separates warriors from those they protect, that makes them view the risks they take as a privilege, not a burden.

Some members here have a negative view of LEO's and why they do the job. While not every officer on the street would act quite this heroically, many would. It's not all about the authority or the paycheck. It's about making a difference. While I try to be mindful that some have had very negative interactions with LEO's or know someone who has, the service that LEO's provide is a needed one and not everyone would be willing to do what this officer did.

From a tactical aspect, there are a couple of points the article conspicuously missed. Foremost is the old saying that a handgun is best utilized as a means to fight your way to a long gun, particularly a rifle. Past 15 yards the effectiveness of a non-slug equipped shotgun diminishes greatly.

While it might have been in his best interest to utilize the shotgun as primary, a rifle would have completely reversed the odds. It's not just the power of the round, but the ability to defeat cover and the ability to target specific areas of the body. If you can't neutralize the adversary, take away his ability to maneuver. Take out the hip/pelvic region and you can pin him down. It also affords the accuracy necessary to hit whatever portion of your opponent you can see if they're using effective cover.

Another point is the expenditure of ammo. A military patrol tactic would be to expend a third of your ammo on immediate contact. If the first third doesn't do the job, expend another third. If that doesn't work, use the final third to effect a fighting withdrawl. He knew his J frame would be unlikely to end a 20 yard standoff with a guy who had already soaked up numerous .45 rounds. That he made an effective brain pan hit at those ranges under those conditions is near miraculous. It was way past time to get himself and the woman out of there.

Which brings up communication. He told the other officers to stay back, but if a brother officer is wounded and in a protracted gun battle, I'm going to find a way in, hopefully with a rifle. Double teaming an adversary is a much more effective fighting method. Particularly if you can either catch them in a pincer movement or force a withdrawl.

Without an autopsy report to review, it's hard to say if any of the torso hits were actually lethal. Just hitting the torso isn't good enough. You have to take out vital components in order to effectively stop a madman. Heart, spine, both lungs, or a major artery. Nothing less is going to get it done in time to save your bacon. The Cook County Illinois shootout is a perfect example.

This is an excellent example of why you never give up, and why you need to continually utilize your OODA loop until you defeat your adversary. We could use more like him.

V1K1NG0

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
WOW. Thank you for posting the article. Borders even knew how to skip bullets off the pavement. :ooh2: You learn something new everyday.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm certainly not an LEO but I think I would have butt stroked the wife with the shotgun to keep her down and kept it in my hands. There is no way I would fight with a pistol when I had a shotgun close.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm certainly not an LEO but I think I would have butt stroked the wife with the shotgun to keep her down and kept it in my hands. There is no way I would fight with a pistol when I had a shotgun close.

I'm not LEO either and didn't understand putting the shotgun away or the other officers not moving in. Not criticizin the officer just don't understand.

Latest posts

Top Bottom