A question about history repeating itself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know that general population of the US was ignorant of the rise of Hitler because they just didn't want to know or believe it. Think about their means of information of the time vs ours. We know within minutes of a major event, no matter where it occurs. They relied on the newspaper and radio address, or word of mouth. "Current" evens were learned of days or weeks later. I've wondered how different WWII would have been different if it were covered today by todays media. We wouldn't think twice about hopping a plane to London for vaction, I'm thinking to the general population of the 30's and 40's, a trip across the pond would be unheard of, so they probably also thought that what was occuring in Europe, was literally a world away. Also, the only Germans of that time that were coming to the US were headed to prison camps, like the one in Alva, OK. Nazi's weren't "world wide" at that time either, the same cannot be said for Muslims, whether they are radical or not. JMO

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bush was Hitler, Obama is Hitler and now Islamic Fundamentalists are Hitler? Why are we so obsessed with Hitler and feel the need to draw so many comparisons to Hitler?
I cannot speak for any other member here, but the op's question was regarding the spread of Nazism; specifically prior to our involvement in WW II, and if The general population of the United States seemed as oblivious to the emerging threat as many of us seem to be today.

Now THAT, is a run on sentence.

sanjuro893

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know that general population of the US was ignorant of the rise of Hitler because they just didn't want to know or believe it. Think about their means of information of the time vs ours. We know within minutes of a major event, no matter where it occurs. They relied on the newspaper and radio address, or word of mouth. "Current" evens were learned of days or weeks later. I've wondered how different WWII would have been different if it were covered today by todays media. We wouldn't think twice about hopping a plane to London for vaction, I'm thinking to the general population of the 30's and 40's, a trip across the pond would be unheard of, so they probably also thought that what was occuring in Europe, was literally a world away. Also, the only Germans of that time that were coming to the US were headed to prison camps, like the one in Alva, OK. Nazi's weren't "world wide" at that time either, the same cannot be said for Muslims, whether they are radical or not. JMO
I agree with this. I would also add that most folks had just overcome the Great Depression and were more concerned with making ends meet than a madman on the other side of the planet. That came specifically from my grandfather when I asked him a similar question several years ago.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Didn't a lot of people appease Hitler thinking he would just go away? I thought that was one of his claims to power. I also think there was a lot of antisemitism at the time that helped fuel his fire.

Also, Hitler was a very charismatic man. If he wasn't, he wouldn't of got to the position he did.

You're correct, Hitler was a Charismatic person. But a lot of his success was his personal drive and determination to keep trying to do what he wanted to do...regardless of how warped we all think it was. He also had a willingness to "ask" for things. An odd thought maybe, but he asked and was not turned down. If you have not read "The rise and fall of the third Reich" I highly recommend it.

Another note, I don't remember which Russian politician said that Russia would concur the USA without firing a shot. But this sounds like the same thing you're talking about. So, to answer your question, Yes! I think a great number of folks don't give one thought to the fact that Islam could be a threat to the USA. I think these folks are naive and somewhat closed minded...or just want to ignore things and "they will go away." We've become a very passive country where criticism of others is simply not allowed. Criticism, name calling, casual racial references, etc. can even be crimes!!!!????

Latest posts

Top Bottom