A thank you thread.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmc707

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can find plenty to do. the Game Reserve, SCRAP in Duncan, take most of my free time. I grew up where I could shoot a rifle in most any direction and not worry about it, the nights were pitch black and the quiet and stillness were beautiful. Here its never quiet (the artillery is rocking everything right now) and never dark. The sirens are incessant. I mess the dark and quiet, mostly.

Lawton can be rough - but get you a place in Snyder or Cache (or Indiahoma, Geronimo, etc.) I think there are still areas where A guy can find 10 acres without being completely priced out of the market. And those places are about that you wouldn’t hear the guns

I bought my small acreage outside of norman over 20 years ago but could not afford it now. Kind of sobering realizing I can’t really afford my own place anymore if I had to buy it again, But I’ve always liked the desert out there. I Take my bike to Medicine Park And often as I can to ride the trails there

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can find plenty to do. the Game Reserve, SCRAP in Duncan, take most of my free time. I grew up where I could shoot a rifle in most any direction and not worry about it, the nights were pitch black and the quiet and stillness were beautiful. Here its never quiet (the artillery is rocking everything right now) and never dark. The sirens are incessant. I mess the dark and quiet, mostly.
Move to NE Oklahoma. We’d love to have you!

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Born in Louisiana, raised in Denver, came of age in Ponca City, OK. Left home to live in small town Texas, Corpus, Houston, Dallas, OKC, Tulsa, Billings, and Cheyenne.

Currently in Lawton for a record longest period of my life, ten years, and it's like every other town or city in America. People complain there isn't much to do, but the only limitations on a person's entertainment is willingness to try new stuff. I tell my angsty nephews all the time, only boring people are bored.
Did you work for ConocoPhillips? You named a few cities that they have holdings in.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, stay a while!

chicken.gif

XYZ

Ribertarian
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve lived all over and have traveled thru a bunch more. Born at Altus AFB (God’s Country) and grew up at a bunch of different AFBs around the country. Dad was born in Shawnee, so when he got out he headed back to Oklahoma. We’ve all primarily been here since with a few exceptions.
Better places? Maybe. But I like it here and will probably die here.

Last edited:

Shinneryfarmer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess you can call me a "Okie", Honestly can't believe I said that about myself. :cry3:Born and raised in south Alabama, moved to Oklahoma in 1981 initially to visit family out here. Well I met a pretty young Okie girl and had to stay, married her 4 kids and 9 grandkids. Other than 2 years where we moved back to Alabama to take care of aging grandparents. After they passed we came back to western Oklahoma to take care of my MIL who got in real bad health with intent of returning to Alabama. Well that cranky old bird lasted longer than the doctors said by 10 yrs ( we had our disagreements but I still loved her). By that time our roots were pretty much planted with kids married, grandkids so we just stayed.

As said about Oklahoma the people are awesome. Pretty great place to live, if I had to live in OKC or Tulsa or any populated place my beliefs may change. So I'll stay stay out here where the population of the entire county is only 3,442 per 2020 census and I'll be totally happy.

I guess 41 years living in Oklahoma makes me a Okie they say.:anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom