accuracy difference

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in the service, 20% of our qual score with the M-16A1 was at 500 meters with iron sights. I routinely got 8 out of 10 shots in the scoring rings at that distance. I can tell you from being in the target pits that I wouldn't want to get hit with a 55gr 5.56 at that distance. :nolike:

I've heard other people say this, but I've also heard many others say that this is not true. What branch were you in that this was required? I thought the requirement for M16/500 meter was just a large silhouette and no rings.

I'm not saying you're lying, I've just heard several different folks argue this point - there's a pretty famous story about it on the Hide (son-in-law was a Marine, talking trash, etc...).

And as to 55gr NATO at 500yds - I didn't say you couldn't do it, I would just think that the tiniest bit of wind would play havoc with your shots. To each his own I guess - just doesn't sound like something I'd have any fun with at all. It requires more skill/patience than I've got I guess.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've heard other people say this, but I've also heard many others say that this is not true. What branch were you in that this was required? I thought the requirement for M16/500 meter was just a large silhouette and no rings.

I'm not saying you're lying, I've just heard several different folks argue this point - there's a pretty famous story about it on the Hide (son-in-law was a Marine, talking trash, etc...).

And as to 55gr NATO at 500yds - I didn't say you couldn't do it, I would just think that the tiniest bit of wind would play havoc with your shots. To each his own I guess - just doesn't sound like something I'd have any fun with at all. It requires more skill/patience than I've got I guess.

I was USMC 84-88. It was the large silhouette at 500, the round bull at 200 & 300 and the half silhouette for 300 rapid fire. IIRC, the silhouette still had scoring rings, but a hit on it anywhere counted (I could be wrong, it was a long time ago). We had wind flags on the range and if you doped correctly, you could get surprisingly good groups on target. I don't know how many times I had shooters hit the spotters and even the spotting pins at those ranges, but it was frequent.

Back in the late 90's I had a 16" AR with a 1 in 9 twist Wilson barrel. I had a VariX-III 2.5-8X36 with mil-dot reticle on it. It would monotonously hit the rams at 500 meters at Red Castle (and even occasionally knock them down) with 55 grainers. If the wind, sun and heat was right, it was fun watching the bullet trace and you could call hits or misses before they reached the target. On windy days, you couldn't see it and you are correct, doping the wind is critical then.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back in the late 90's I had a 16" AR with a 1 in 9 twist Wilson barrel. I had a VariX-III 2.5-8X36 with mil-dot reticle on it. It would monotonously hit the rams at 500 meters at Red Castle (and even occasionally knock them down) with 55 grainers. If the wind, sun and heat was right, it was fun watching the bullet trace and you could call hits or misses before they reached the target. On windy days, you couldn't see it and you are correct, doping the wind is critical then.

Ok, you may be starting to change my mind - that does sound kind of fun.

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After some years (30+), I now have several 16" barrelled ARs (1-8 and 1-9 twist) for5.56/.223. They include heavy stainless bull, and lighter "M-4".

I typically use bullet weights of 55 and 62 grains, rarely anything lighter, and never anything heavier.

One of the flat tops has a 16" stainless bull barrel and wears a 6.5X20 Leupold scope.

I also have a 16" RRA 'coyote' with a NightForce 2-1/2 X 10 illuminated recticle scope, and have found it to be surprisingly accurate considering its' light weight (aluminum free-floated handguard and skeleton stock).

tweetr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I seem to recall the maximum effective range of the M-16 listed as 640m. No?

Reaction score
All things equal, no difference in accuracy between barrel lengths.

That is correct, sir! [/E. McMahon] No difference in mechanical accuracy, ceteris paribus. Sight radius, ok, yeah, can help a bit with *practical* accuracy (not mechanical).

These things can affect mechanical accuracy the most:

1. Barrel quality, including rifling quality & type, steel type & quality, manufacturing process used, bore diameter, de-stressing of the steel, etc.
2. Chamber specs / headspacing
3. Amount of lead
4. Crown quality / consistency
5. Barrel stiffness (ratio of length to thickness; shorter is better; thicker is better).
6. Ammo, ammo, ammo (bullet consistency, brass consistency, primer choice/consistency, powder charge consistency, powder choice, seating depth, seating alignment, proper crimp, etc.)
7. Stock to rifle fit, including use of bedding blocks, acra-glas bedding, etc.
8. Breech face trueing
9. Peculiar harmonics: Matching of ammo choice to a particular barrel, to get repeatable vibration patterns.
10. Peculiar harmonics: adding a pressure point and/or free-floating some barrels

Not barrel length.

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd think the 20" barrel, all else being equal, would be a tad more accurate - higher muzzle velocity and longer sight radius?

If you want To shoot alot youll wanna stay with the chrome lined it will last you longer, If your wanting a quality Barrel your barrel life will be decreased, also involved is the bullet weight and twist and type of rifling will come into play as well

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot...matching of bullet length to rifling twist rate.

Higher velocity may or may not result in better *practical* accuracy, depending upon the range and amount of wind.

But mid-weight and heavy 16 inchers tend to be quite accurate in most ARs.

Latest posts

Top Bottom