Advice for my first gun show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I get deals at gun shows all the time. I don't usually buy at my shows, but the shows I attend. Here is my tactic. If you see a gun that you are interested in, ask how their day is going. If they complain about not making any money, then it's game on. Make them an offer. If you are dumb enough to accept asking price then you will be doomed to forever gripe about prices at gun shows on online forums. Gun shows are not a normal retail shop. Many dealers inflate their prices to build in a little haggle room.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay home.

***Disclaimer: I tell everyone to stay home so I can go and be the only one there. When dealers whine about not being able to make any money because no one is there I get good deals.***

On a more serious note I like to go on the last day of the show and in the afternoon. I know that I stand a better chance of getting a deal. The guys don't like packing up all that crap and going back home with it. If they can sell it and not lose their ass some will just so they don't have to take it home. Another good one is to ask if they've taken anything in on a trade that day. Another thing that makes dealers feel warm and fuzzy is if they can flip stuff quickly for a few bucks. Typically the guy who traded it took it in the shorts so you can still get a good deal.

Last edited:

superdave65

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay home.

***Disclaimer: I tell everyone to stay home so I can go and be the only one there. When dealers whine about not being able to make any money because no one is there I get good deals.***

On a more serious note I like to go on the last day of the show and in the afternoon. I know that I stand a better chance of getting a deal. The guys don't like packing up all that crap and going back home with it. If they can sell it and not lose their ass some will just so they don't have to take it home. Another good one is to ask if they've taken anything in on a trade that day. Another thing that makes dealers feel warm and fuzzy is if they can flip stuff quickly for a few bucks. Typically the guy who traded it took it in the shorts so you can still get a good deal.
This guy knows the game. Sunday afternoons are the best time for bargains.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The advice about talking up the seller of a firearm you really want, is sound. Build a rapport with him, and walk away - politely - if he doesn't come down to your top dollar. Then come back later and see if he still has the piece; if so, make the offer again. It might work. If he doesn't have it any more, c'est la vie - you didn't want to pay any more than what you were comfortable with, right?

One of my best buys was at the Wanenmacher show last November; during the setup on Friday, I saw a gap-letter International Harvester M1 Garand for sale, something I'd been looking for for years. I made the seller an offer, and he refused; I came back on Saturday, the rifle was still there, and I made the same offer again, with the same result. Sunday morning, I checked, and it was still on the rack, so I upped my offer to my top dollar, and he came down a bit but not enough, so I left. An hour before I was ready to pack up and leave, I went back one more time with the same offer as last time - this time, the seller agreed, and we were both satisfied. At least, I was very satisfied with my Gapper :D

sethk

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for all the great (and humorous) advice. I think I'll definitely give it a go, just for the experience if nothing else. Anybody have any pro/cons for any of the specific OKC area shows or an idea of which one might best fit what I'm looking for?

Latest posts

Top Bottom