Advice for my first gun show

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolf44

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The big W - Tulsa Show or bust. after that you'd be better served supporting Sooner State Pawn or a few of the other reputable places that have fair to sometimes very good pricing on items, just have to watch for the deals.

Of course, it does seem to be the Southern thing to do on the weekends - which is evident by one nearly every wkend or every other wkend.

acp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go to the Wannemacher show in Tulsa. Figure your gas and entry fee as entertainment. If you have never been to a show you will be in awe of how many guns of all types are there. Don't count on tons of new modern stuff, or being able to look at much without getting run over. But it is a show you should go to at least once. If you have an idea of what you want go to a gun shop and look. At least there (most of them) you can look without being run over.
I will be one of the only guys at the Wannemacher show not in camo! My name was not on the the above list.

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's your first handgun and first show so I would say like most of the people did, DO NOT go to the gun show expecting a deal. Many of us on here have fell into the same trap when we bought our very first guns. I bought my first gun at a gun show before I knew much about the gun scene I SCOURED the show up and down and found the absolute lowest price on a Springfield XD only to get on okshooters literally a week later and got an amazing deal on my second XD but it was in 9mm, used but great condition for $170 less than the brand new one (I'm not kidding). And then I discovered armslist and gunbroker, I could have found a brand new XD selling all day for about $35 cheaper than my gun show find.

My advice is to first narrow down your search to what you are looking for exactly, amidst all the gun fervor I almost bought a doozie until an old guy behind me told me to check the XD out instead. Now days I have a mental "want to buy list" of about 5 different handguns that I keep an eye out for at shows and I know the market value of each one BEFORE I walk into the show. You should definitely "shop before you go shopping", meaning check everywhere you can (armslist, gunbroker, Bud's Guns Shop, Sooner State Pawn etc.) to find the lowest total price possible that way you know what you have to beat.

Finding a deal at the show is literally like going to a museum that has a lottery, you go for the sights and you just might stumble upon a bargain on a gun. Decent prices on gun related items is far more likely. Parting advice, don't be afraid to bargain, enjoy your time there, don't expect a deal to fall in your lap, keep your eye out because a deal may be the last place you expect it.

Last edited:

Hoov

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are deals to be had. Not all dealers are as bad as has been posted, though there is truth in the stereotypes. Take surjimmy with you!

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Not all dealers are as bad as has been posted...

That is true.

If SoonerStatePawn or B.A.N.G. have a table at the gun show you attend, you will be most likely treated fairly, otherwise be very careful.

Once again most deals are found when dealing with other attendees of the gun show, but there are sharks everywhere, so do your due diligence before looking to buy, and you should be able to get a fair deal.

http://slickguns.com is a good place to search for some of the best prices for guns online, so that you know what you can get it for there, and have the info to make your best deal.

I personally wouldn't pay much more locally, than I can get a gun for online from a reputable dealer.

Last edited:

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Not all dealers are as bad as has been posted

I don't see folks bashing dealers or calling them "bad"...just that expecting to find smoking deals at a show is setting the bar too high. Dealers are there to sell products and make money, not sell you a gun at cost....I'm sure our dealers can attest to how tight their margins are.

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I find deals at gun shows all the time, and mostly from dealers. A few shows ago, I bought a real nice HP, last show I got a snub nose DW 357 mag for only $225. Just don't be in a hurry, and if your going to the big show in T-town you won't be able to see everything in 1 day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom