Aimpoint 3X

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beercules

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've run a real deal EOTech 3X as well as a knock-off Aimpoint 3X...I ditched them for an ACOG and haven't looked back. The magnifiers work well enough, but it always felt like a large, clumsy setup compared to an ACOG or variable power optic such as a Short Dot.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've seen ACOG's go for cheaper on arfcom than mag3x and aimpoint. Just an idea. I do have an ACOG and several Aimpoint M4's but I have also been looking for the magnifier for one of the aimpoints. Haven't heard of the Primary Arms, is that a knockoff?

Yes and No - Primary Arms is made by a guy over on ArfCom who sort of stole a few of the design aesthetics of the Aimpoints, but underneath, they're actually real Red-Dots as opposed to using Aimpoint's proprietary super-battery-saving design.

They're no where near as well made as Aimpoint, but they're above all the Airsoft replicas, and I would honestly rate them above the NcStar, Barska, BSA quality stuff as well. Their battery life is really good (not 3-7 years good like Aimpoint, but from what I've heard, better than most EOTech models).

They're basically like Millet Zoom Dots, or Burris Fastfires only priced way lower because he doesn't have to deal with any distribution or overhead since he mostly sells by word-of-mouth or internet advertising from ArfCom, etc...

I know that M4Carbine.net has a thread on one of the Magpul Dynamics classes and said that they thought one of the optics used was a Primary Arms and it survived the entire class without having issues, or loosing battery life - that's seriously saying something.

As for their magnifiers, I'm not 100% sure on the rugged-ness or overall quality, but he seems to have a lot of satisfied customers for everything he sells, so I'm almost willing to give one a try.

I'll probably put one in a better mount (I've yet to see a good QD or flip-side mount that wasn't Sampson or LaRue), but even with the mount/magnifier, I'm safer in price than buying the real-deal and ending up hating it and having to sell for a significant loss.

I've tried out the real deal, and it seems (besides just a bit heavy) do-able, but I'd need to really use one to know if I'll like it or not, and I'd rather buy than borrow for that since I don't like putting friends' stuff through "rough tests".

Oklahoma Stronghold

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent the money on a GREAT red dot (aimpoint ML3) and eventually felt the need to buy a magnifier. I went with the Primary Arms 5X and I have been very pleased with it. I dont know how it compares with the Aimpoint magnifier, but I dont see how it could be 300 bucks better than what I got with the Primary Arms magnifier.

I have mine mounted with the Larue Flip mount. THis way, I can easily move the magnifer out of the way. It works great.

What kind of mount do you have your ML3 in? Standard or cantilever?

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
who else makes flip to side mounts besides Larue???

Sampson and LaRue are the only two that I'd use with any level of seriousness - If you're looking to go budget, Primary Arms sells a flip-to-side mount that would work, but anytime you've got moving-parts being machined (and the cost is way to low to believe), expect things like imperfect fit, imperfect co-witnessing, a lot of play (loose-ness) when in either active or out-of-the-way position, etc...

I think the general consensus (from what I've read) is that a QD mount for a magnifier is better than a flip-to-side mount, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a Sampson or LaRue just to try them out.

Oklahoma Stronghold I've got both a cantilever and a standard high LaRue Aimpoint mount on my ARs and I can tell you that if you want to run rear flip-up Iron, magnifier, and optic (Aimpoint or clone), you need a cantilever mount. If you don't have a rear Iron, then you don't need the cantilever mount unless you just like the optic that far forward (and a lot of people do).

neginfluence04

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sampson and LaRue are the only two that I'd use with any level of seriousness - If you're looking to go budget, Primary Arms sells a flip-to-side mount that would work, but anytime you've got moving-parts being machined (and the cost is way to low to believe), expect things like imperfect fit, imperfect co-witnessing, a lot of play (loose-ness) when in either active or out-of-the-way position, etc...

I think the general consensus (from what I've read) is that a QD mount for a magnifier is better than a flip-to-side mount, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a Sampson or LaRue just to try them out.

Oklahoma Stronghold I've got both a cantilever and a standard high LaRue Aimpoint mount on my ARs and I can tell you that if you want to run rear flip-up Iron, magnifier, and optic (Aimpoint or clone), you need a cantilever mount. If you don't have a rear Iron, then you don't need the cantilever mount unless you just like the optic that far forward (and a lot of people do).

sry newbie questions whats a QD mount?

Latest posts

Top Bottom