Aimpoint mounting options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a total noob to this tactical black rifle stuff but recently picked up an AR and an Aimpoint M2. The AR has the A2 rail mounted carry handle and I really like the rear A2 sight. I know there are numerous mounting options but I'm thinking about starting really simple and going the the cantilever type mount that attaches to the hole in the top of the carry handle. Anyone gone with this type of mount for the Aimpoint? Pros/cons?

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I found out there are still surplus cantilever carry handle mounts available. These were the official US Army units for mounting the Aimpoint on a carry handle-equipped AR. I found one of the surplus examples for $20 shipped so I'll give it a try. That way I have the whole co-witness thing going with the great A2 rear site plus an Aimpoint for zombie bustin'.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more I think about it, I don't like the optic over the handguard idea. That cut carry handle is a pretty slick idea. I have a nice flip-up rear sight so that's an option too. I just need a bit of a riser or a cantilever mount for the Aimpoint to mount it on the top rail and have it high enough to co-witness in the lower part of the optic.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a larue mount

Ditto. Larue Aimpoint mount...directly to rail. Ditch the carry handle and mount a flip up rear that mimics the A2 rear if you really like the A2 style rear (I think GG&G makes one).

Once you embrace the Aimpoint...the irons will truly just be for back up in the event the optic fails/breaks.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For now I have a cheapo cantilever type mount for the Aimpoint. It was almost sacrilege to put a cheapo mount like that between a Colt AR and an Aimpoint but I wanted to see if I liked that setup before dropping that much $ on a LaRue. I do plan to install a flip-up rear sight that is close to the A2. ARMS #40? IIRC that is the one I was considering.

Latest posts

Top Bottom