Air compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOSfed98z

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a 80 gallon compressor that I have in the garage. It's so loud I can't hear myself think. I was thinking about putting it outside. Has anyone do that if so do you like it that way, did you make a lean-to or add a small room to the outside of your house, and how did you plumb the air lines.

Thanks for any help in advance.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've never done it, but I've spent a lot of time considering it. I would pour a slab and at least put some sort of cover/roof on it. I think it would be best if it were completely in the dry.

I would use solid lines to penetrate the walls. Then you could just plug into them with your hose. You might want to run solid lines to both sides of your garage for convenience.

Look here. http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3408

dwalker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
You really need to check the motor and electrical boxes to make sure they are weatherproof. If the motor is marked TEFC, it'll be fine. Any junction boxes should be weatherproof or you will need to totally enclose the compressor portion of the assembly. If it's belt driven, the belt may slip if it gets wet.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you end up building a walled shelter for it, be sure to allow space for maintenance/ access and ventilation. If possible, fix mounting bolts to the rebar before pouring the slab. +2 on hard (PVC or galvanized steel) lines through exterior walls and to your desired connection points.

What about an enclosure within your garage? If you can address the ventilation/ access issues and can create a sound deadening layer, it might be easier/ less expensive.

goodoleboy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ive been considering it also...I keep my tools in top shape and feel being inside I can keep an eye on it alot better if it is indoors where I can check the pressure guages and most important oil levels..

My compromise is to build an ENclosure, really its just a Closet basically somewhere inside the shop building..Using insulation or something to muffle the noise down..It will be enclosed but i will be more likely to check the oil and other if its inside where its not snowing or in the blistering sun..

Btw, most say its not safe, but many do it anyway but I nknow 3 people who plumbed hard air lines with PVC innsted of iron pipe..The savings are enormous depending on the length of run you havE...

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a small add on to my garage. It's primary purpose is for yard tool/garden tool storage. It will also have enough room to put my compressor, and dust collector. It will all be enclosed, I would put a compressor out in the open, needs to at least be covered.

Latest posts

Top Bottom