Harbor Freight "Fortress" Air Compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a small pancake compressor that went Tango Uniform a while ago and I've been wanting something else to replace it. I have a large compressor in the big shop but I'm always needing something portable for smaller jobs around the house. I settled on this Fortress model from Harbor Freight because I've heard really good things about them, the price was right, included a free air tool (I got a needle scaler for the welding cart...$100 value), I had HF $$ to spend and this model is supposed to be really quiet.

It's a 10-gallon, 175 PSI model. Setup was easy. Put the wheels on and adjust the handle. Aside from that, plug it in, open the drain valve, turn it on and let it run for 30 minutes as a break-in. Ready to go after that. Maintenance free, no-oil pump and the drain valve is really easy to access and operate. It does require tilting it to the side to drain, though. The gauges are large enough, and there's enough contrast on them, that they're easy to see. It takes 4 mins from start to cut-off on an empty tank. And, yes, it's very quiet. Even in the enclosed shop you can easily carry on a conversation in normal voices and not be drowned out by the noise of the compressor running. They say it's only 69db.

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed with the quality of this thing so far. If it holds up, it'll definitely be a nice addition to the shop.

20231029_120821.jpg
20231029_120838.jpg
20231029_120907.jpg

mgssamn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just bought a 21 gallon oil free / Mcgraw at Harbor freight.
very quiet. $279 X 10% off + tax $273 out the door . It takes less floor space than my pancake that wouldnt run my air tools. but it is taller.
very happy with it.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It listed at $289 I think. I had a coupon (of course) for 25% off plus about $35 HF money. It worked out to about $182 for it, I think. Plus the $100 needle scaler that was free with the compressor.

I've had it filled with air (and shut off) for about 3 hours now and it's lost about 5 lbs of pressure. So it leaks somewhere, but not very much.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It listed at $289 I think. I had a coupon (of course) for 25% off plus about $35 HF money. It worked out to about $182 for it, I think. Plus the $100 needle scaler that was free with the compressor.

I've had it filled with air (and shut off) for about 3 hours now and it's lost about 5 lbs of pressure. So it leaks somewhere, but not very much.
Nice thing about HF is they’ll replace it. Probably worth taking all fittings off and thread taping them all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom