AK over AR?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My AR fits me way better than my Arsenal 101 with warsaw stock... The AK is just too short. I've also been spoiled with Gieselle's super 3 gun trigger for AR's. I need something better in my Arsenal...

Still never selling the AK because it is badass :p

Get you a NATO length stock; I'm 6'-5", and don't even mind the Warsaw length.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was an AR fan. Then fell in love with the Ak for many years it was the only thing for me. Then a few years ago I got back into Ar's. I truly believe that each has their own utility that is uniquely their own. Suffice it to say though, that if I had to chose only one rifle to take with me into some hellish times it would be the AK but I would want the ergonomics of the AR. AHHHH! I can't decide. :)

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've only got the AR, although I rarely shoot it. Personally, I've always liked the ak aesthetics better. imo a carbine/rifle just looks/feels better as hunk of wood and steel.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
419,321 That's today's running total for threads on this subject in the history of the internet.

Did you know that 87.359% of all statistics are made up on the spot?

The M-14 was offered as an alternative to both the AK and the AR. I would like to submit one that uses .223, but has AK like reliability.

The Ruger Mini-14. I know it isn't a tack driver, but you don't want to be 300 yards in front of me and expect to live very long if you have given me cause to pull a trigger.

I think it was in the late 70s when I happened onto two of Oklahoma's finest (OHP) at the old MB-1 range at Fort sill. They were testing a full auto Mini-14 and let me put a mag through it. We wants it. Still. But, in terms of reliable, adequately accurate, high volume output, the Ruger is a keeper. I have a folding stock stainless old one with not enough twist to stabalize heavy bullets, but if the ship hits the sand it's the first thing that'll come out--followed by an AK that just works every time. When ARs get cheap enough I may buy one to play with, but I still have reliability concerns with the basic design. Probably will hold out for something with a piston.

I despise the ergonomics of both the AR and the AK. They feel crude and unfriendly to me, but that could just be because I'm old and cranky.

BrandonMF

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've a Type 56 that they slapped a thumbhole stock on and welded a muzzle nut on to make it a MAK-90. Probably the best AK I've ever shot. After shooting that rifle, my Arsenal disgusted me. Lol.

AR-15 has the advantage of everyone you're likely to know owns one or will eventually own one. Parts are still being made for them. The ammo is very common, so common that they're having a hard time keeping it in stock because everyone wants it. Every modern accessory, gear and optic is geared directly towards AR-15s. Magazines are available and cheap in quantity while FAL and AK magazines are getting quite scarce, and the last couple of surplus AK mags I bought were quite expensive considering their poor condition. There is a wider availability of quality ammo from a wider variety of manufacturers than 7.62x39, and .223/5.56 is an inherently more accurate cartridge.

I still enjoy my AK-47s and -74s more though.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had to pick one, it would be very hard for me to pick my Knights SR15 over my Poly Tech AK-47. Having a few of each, they both are very nice guns to have. Now as they said in many post listed, they both have their own job.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it's an AR because I could operate it blind folded. Don't smack me but I've never sent lead down the tube of any AK variant of any type x51, x39, or otherwise.

Latest posts

Top Bottom