Alaska photobomb thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never really got to see evidence of it in 2005, but we were told that the Puffin were pretty graceful in flight and when in the water, but their landings could be something all-together different. We were cautioned to keep an eye on them when landing as they didn't always land where they planned.

I'm really curious about the "missing image" that BB praised. I suspect it was pulled to protect against being copied.

Now, we know it was the Nikon D80, but what was your primary lens when taking all these?

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never really got to see evidence of it in 2005, but we were told that the Puffin were pretty graceful in flight and when in the water, but their landings could be something all-together different. We were cautioned to keep an eye on them when landing as they didn't always land where they planned.

I'm really curious about the "missing image" that BB praised. I suspect it was pulled to protect against being copied.

Now, we know it was the Nikon D80, but what was your primary lens when taking all these?

Terry, the Puffins flying remind me of an F-4...proof that if you put enough lift on something it will fly. They are as graceful as a garbage truck in the air and their landings remind me of a brick being thrown into a pond. How they manage to "stick" to the cliff faces when they land is beyond me.
I used 3 lenses while I was there, my primary was a NIKON 18-135mm (the D80"kit" lens). I also used a telephoto lens that maxed out at 300mm and a fixed 105mm macro.

The Lmissing" photo BB mentioned showed when I clicked on it, its an HDR shot from the upper Kenai area, somewhere between anchorage and coopers landing.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tell you what... I did NOT want to leave. I wish I could be there now. Man...it is a whole 'nother world. I fell in love with the area, the people and the pace of life. Also, i suspect the coffee shop to population ratio is the highest in the world. The politics of the area are fascinating as well. There was a political rally in Kenai City that I was there for. It was interesting, it seemed like big oil was trying to buy the vote with free food. The political mix (judgging by bumperstickers) was beyond polarized. It seems that there was no "middle" you were either a complete flaming bleeding heart hippie liberal or a DTOM tea party right wing nut job.

Keyser328

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I tell you what... I did NOT want to leave. I wish I could be there now. Man...it is a whole 'nother world. I fell in love with the area, the people and the pace of life.

This is so, so, so true. My grandfather has a place in Anchor Point and my wife and I went up a few years back. It has been the hardest thing to not pack up and just move.

I had one of those self-realization moments sitting on the Inlet in a tiny boat, staring at five volcanoes, a glacier or two, and watching a four foot tall otter crack open his lunch not 20 yards from me.

Seedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is so, so, so true. My grandfather has a place in Anchor Point and my wife and I went up a few years back. It has been the hardest thing to not pack up and just move.

I had one of those self-realization moments sitting on the Inlet in a tiny boat, staring at five volcanoes, a glacier or two, and watching a four foot tall otter crack open his lunch not 20 yards from me.

Yep. I stopped and had a beer and aujue (sp?) Sauce burger at the Anchor Point Inn's bar. Cool spot, seemed like a "locals" hangout.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've missed the last three years due to health issues.. Alaska is one of the neatest places on earth. I like fishing the high country lakes, grazing for high bush cranberries and eating the rose hips as you find them. Just have to watch out for the bears and moose.. Thanks for bringing back the good memories..

Latest posts

Top Bottom