Am I a heartless, animal hating monster for this...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
For docile dogs, shooting behind the ear probably wouldn't be much of a problem.

But, there are some dogs who know what a gun is and go bezerk when one is brought out or they hear the report of one. I used to have a stray that would go "full retard" at the first sign of a firearm because she was abused as a pup. Are the people who work shelters (probably volunteer or low wage at best) going to have the gun skills necessary to safely put down a rowdy critter with one clean shot? If you have to tie an animal down or put it in a chute to hold it still for a bullet, will the anti's scream abuse. Will insurance rates for the shelter go thru the roof when they find out firearms are being used on the property?

Things to consider.

I don't think they were going to completely eliminate the use of other methods, just use gunfire for the most common method. So, when an animal goes berserk at the sight of a gun, and it would be difficult to carry out humanely, set that animal aside for a different method.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are proposing the questions for the sake of exploration and understanding, then being called names kind of shows you the people you are dealing with.

Sounds like you are asking the real questions, and everyone else is doing the typical emotional reaction so popular on social media these days. And once the ball starts rolling, everyone loves to jump in to feel like they are part of something too, which just turns it into a steamroller.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- Mostly though I have been told I am "backwards", "part of the problem", that I must hate animals, etc.
All I have to say on that subject is that I'd find another organization to support. They'd not see another dime of my money nor another second of my time. Shake the dust off your feet and leave them.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my grandpa used to say any man that can't shoot his own dog or shoe his own horse ought not have either. gunshot was the best method to put down a sick or injured animal for years where vet's weren't readly available. it's proven and painless with proper bullet placement

Latest posts

Top Bottom