America's Arctic War(WWII) - The Aleutians Campaign

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Boy that brings back some memories 😇 Unalask Alaska Dutch Harbor Alaska.

-My biggest memories riding a cargo plane out after staging the Ocean Odyssey with a 4.5 meter satellite dish, computer equipment, connecting data feeds for drilling simulators in Tulsa on a plastic trash can with an Alaska Mountie and a convict 🤣.

- Lots Machine gun nest still there in the mid 80s.

- Being trapped over a week due to DENSE fog. I usually drank at the airport bar😝. Que Saturday night all right for fighting for the broken elbow as we called it😉 where roughnecks and fisherman meet after being out to sea for months. There was som partying.😮

- The eagles and ravens at the local dump fighting for leftovers. Surprisingly to me the eagles were usually ran off. I never realized Ravens were that big.
DA4871E6-D3AF-4EE8-A506-DEBD80A0D615.jpeg

Playboys top worst 10 bar In the world

https://www.seattlepi.com/business/article/Alaska-s-wild-woolly-bar-scene-has-calmed-in-1128193.php

Last edited:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found this interesting

https://www.ci.unalaska.ak.us/community/page/world-war-ii-aleutians

This excerpt almost sound like today with all the lockdown deaths.

The decision was ill planned and carried out with no regard for the victims' well being. Eight hundred eighty-one people from eight villages were sent to makeshift camps in southeast Alaska. There the discomfort and lack of care resulted in high death rates among the youngest and oldest of the culture, losses that are still felt today.

Funny what the highways today we’re dirt roads in the 80s as I recall. Although I’m more familiar with the alaskan highway from the lower 48. I always wanted to hunt those types of roads with a metal detractor as they drag river rock from the streams, they’ve found some very large chucks of gold on these types of roads.

https://i0.wp.com/www.defensemedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/ALCAN-Highway.jpg?ssl=1

Last edited:

orangevale

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What no mention of “Castner's Cutthroats”?

From Wikipedia:

“Castner's Cutthroats was the unofficial name for the 1st Alaskan Combat Intelligence Platoon (Provisional), also known as Alaskan Scouts. Castner's Cutthroats fought during World War II and were instrumental in defeating the Japanese during the Aleutian Islands Campaign. The unit was composed of just sixty-five men selected to perform reconnaissance missions in the Aleutian Islands during the war.[1]”

Castner's Cutthroats - Wikipedia

From Historynet:

“The Cutthroats were taught how to handle all types of weapons and allowed to carry any one they wanted. Verbeck always carried a knife, which a surgeon had custom designed for him so that when he stabbed someone the blade would go in and out with ease. George Gray and Simeon “Aleut Pete” Pletnikoff each chose to carry an M1 semi-automatic rifle. It was a reliable gun—unless sand got in it—and it could be filed down, making it fully automatic. Ed Walker opted for a Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR), which had consequences he hadn’t initially anticipated. “I chose the BAR, which can spit out 20 rounds of ammunition swiftly,” he said. “So I was in the number-one boat every blasted landing we made.”

Alaska's Cutthroats

Latest posts

Top Bottom