Man kills wife. Says it's because of Vietnam.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That seems a bit narrow minded. I think there are some very extreme cases where somebody just may need killing. They're very few and far between, but they exist.

I knew one of those people.

Most of the people that knew that person felt the same way, and it wasn't a real shocker when they were killed.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
TULSA, Okla. (KTUL) — Convicted of first degree murder and sentenced to life without parole, Charles Bradley shares details of his unique defense that fell flat with jurors.

From the perspective of Bradley the tragedy that happened in May of 2022 actually began in January of 1968.

"It was during the Tet offensive," he said.

He was a 20 year-old helicopter crew chief and his base was being attacked.

"I got into the bunker. I had an M-16 with me. And I saw these two shadows appear at the entrance to the bunker, and my thought was, they’re probably not going to come in, they’re probably just going to throw in a grenade," he said.

He started firing, and kept shooting until he was out of bullets.

"And when the last round was fired, they fell in on me. They were dead but I didn’t know that, I thought our fight was continuing. And so I was trying to fight them off. It’s a terrifying, there’s no way I can explain that except it was terrifying," he said.

The experience, he says, would haunt him long after the war was over.

"As I got older and after I left Vietnam, all those dreams kept coming back to me, over and over. And it was the exact same dream," he said.

When he tried seeking help from the VA, he says, all they gave him were pills.

"One of them that they gave me was called Ambien. And Ambien I was still having dreams but I was also up at night doing things that I didn’t have any idea I was doing them the next day. I’m thinking, who left the TV on last night? Well it had to be me. But I don’t remember watching TV during the night. And I’d wash a load of clothes you know and I’m thinking, I don’ t remember doing that, but it had to be me," he said.

And that brings us back to May of 2022.

"I called 9-1-1 and when the dispatcher I told her that apparently I’ve killed my wife," he said.

Charles says he was having one of his Vietnam dreams which turned into a sleepwalking nightmare.

"I didn’t realize it was Sandy, I thought it was a VC and I shot her. I didn’t know I was shooting her I was shooting at a VC but turned out that VC turned out to be Sandy," he said.

The authorities however, thought the reason behind the shooting was much more simplistic.

"The police kept telling me it was because of jealously. And I’m thinking how can anybody say that it was jealously?," he said.

Married for over 30 years, Charles says they had a great relationship.

"You know we had it made. Well Sandy was still working but we were both retired, we had a good income, had a nice house," he said.

Sandy worked for a doctor who did prescriptions for medical marijuana, and they would often travel together to various sites.

"There for a while it was every weekend they did this. And they’d usually leave on a Thursday, come back on a Sunday," he said.

One day, about three years ago, when he was dropping her off at work, he says he saw a kiss.

"She said that he kissed her. It was a kiss to me no matter what. And it takes two to do that. So I confronted her about that and she didn’t think it was funny that I was addressing that, she said that, you know, he’s an 85 year-old man, you know and he’s got a heart condition, got a defibrillator in his chest. So your concerns about any kind of relationship are invalid. So she allayed all my concern about that," he said.

Charles says he put it behind him, and that jealously played no role in what happened.

"And you know, they keep saying that I knew it was Sandy that I was shooting, I would never have done anything like that, I would have never intentionally hurt her at all, and certainly would not have shot her," he said.

A fatal shooting in the middle of the night, with no controversy as to who did it, only why.

"I only wish I could explain and have people believe that Vietnam is still a very real part of my life. And I hate to say that because that was 50 some odd years ago," he said.

https://ktul.com/news/local/charles-bradleys-vietnam-defense#
You could argue and say its not possible, but humans really dont understand just what happens to you when you are traumatized. Trauma effects people differently, and the fear that comes into them is the root of nightmares. Every reoccurring nightmare, is driven by fear. We ministered to vietnam vet who lost over 50 people while he was a commander in the Army. He had the same nightmares over and over, emotions were nearly gone, anger, all the norms with combat trauma. Deal with the trauma and fear and they will leave like a brand new person. Still cant use trauma as a justifier to murder, but it also doesnt mean the man is a liar. Either way, favor isnt on his side!

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care if one had abuse as a child, was picked on by other school children, went through a miserable marriage or Vietnam, if the guy committed murder then there is a price to pay and past history has absolutely nothing to do with the crime. If past history was culpable or related, we could all use it. as an excuse to harm someone or do something harmful.
Yeah criminology is retarded! Humans are never influenced by the past and we are all the exact same which means we all cope the exact same. And we are experts in trauma and human behavior which is why we keep having wars and not obeying laws. Your history doesnt justify your bad choices, but it absolutely influences the mind, will, and emotions which drive the physical body, sometimes for better and sometimes for the worst.

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I worked with Chuck for a few years, I liked the guy. I haven't seen him for about 12 years, so I'm not sure if anything changed. I do know his wife stabbed him maybe a year before I left the company. He stuck with her after that too.....nuts.

Interesting. Seems like there is ALWAYS more to the story. One of the things I liked most about working for attorneys. The things that came out in the wash ... 😳😳 People are a weird bunch ...

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't care if one had abuse as a child, was picked on by other school children, went through a miserable marriage or Vietnam, if the guy committed murder then there is a price to pay and past history has absolutely nothing to do with the crime. If past history was culpable or related, we could all use it. as an excuse to harm someone or do something harmful.
Maybe you should take some Ambien tonight and sleep on it. :anyone:

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We send these men and women off war and they get broke. They come home and no one will fix them. These veterans have no downtime. Monday they're in war Wednesday they're back home at the grocery store expected to behave and be normal. I know alot of them don't or won't seek help, but what they been through has and MUST be taken in in consideration. I don't have the answer and I don't know if he's lying, it's just a shame.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you should take some Ambien tonight and sleep on it. :anyone:
Whatever you think. These people committed a heinous crime and get by with it due to a history of problems. We all have problems and somehow we haven't killed anyone. No, I dont' need Ambien, thank you.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah criminology is retarded! Humans are never influenced by the past and we are all the exact same which means we all cope the exact same. And we are experts in trauma and human behavior which is why we keep having wars and not obeying laws. Your history doesnt justify your bad choices, but it absolutely influences the mind, will, and emotions which drive the physical body, sometimes for better and sometimes for the worst.
So if a crime is committed and there is a personal problem, the guy gets off to maybe do it again. The victim paid a price...

Latest posts

Top Bottom