America's Gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Glocks are very good handguns, they have had good marketing and they came out at a time when they had a competitive advantage on price. Their footing in the LEO market was a good move.

America's gun in terms of quantity ... OK. America's gun in terms of image ... not so much. For that I would say it is a Colt 1911 or even the Colt 1873.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Glocks are very good handguns, they have had good marketing and they came out at a time when they had a competitive advantage on price. Their footing in the LEO market was a good move.

America's gun in terms of quantity ... OK. America's gun in terms of image ... not so much. For that I would say it is a Colt 1911 or even the Colt 1873.

But those aren't "sleek" like a Glock is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShaunyP26

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Designed and manufactured (well, originally) in Austria, yet declared "America's gun." Irony is officially dead in the 21st century.

I like my Glock, but surely there are better candidates. The 1911 maybe, though that's more a style than a brand.

druryj

Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I think the term "America's Gun" may be based mostly on sales volume more than anything else. Sure, they are fine guns, but I agree to disagree that they are "America's Gun" by any means.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe he means sleek in the literal sense, in that it's "smooth", in which case it was/is the smoothest design ever to rise to this level of popularity. The lack of buttons, switches, and sharp points was/is impressive and practical. I do wonder, though, how sales have compared to 1911s and S&W revolvers, overall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom