Ammo storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use a tool/utility cabinet mounted on the wall. Keeps it high up away from stuff, and you can put several tens of thousands of rounds of various types in there, in ammo cans, MTM boxes, factory ammo, etc. This is also how I store magazines, in a separate cabinet.

Like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...yWvQRzob7vajs9t6708aAmIiEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Funny you say that. This is the one I have

Steel Freestanding Garage Cabinet in Red (32-in W x 74-in H x 18-in D) https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...-Steel-Freestanding-Garage-Cabinet/1000476967

It uses a key. I could bolt it down to the shed. Throw desiccant in there and check it periodically? It’s great for ammo and accesorries. Thoughts?

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny you say that. This is the one I have

Steel Freestanding Garage Cabinet in Red (32-in W x 74-in H x 18-in D) https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-...-Steel-Freestanding-Garage-Cabinet/1000476967

It uses a key. I could bolt it down to the shed. Throw desiccant in there and check it periodically? It’s great for ammo and accesorries. Thoughts?
I don’t use desiccant, but I shoot enough that I don’t retain ammo for years on end, other than long range stuff. LR ammo tends to hang around. Bulk reloads, like if I reload 5k-20k rounds, get stored in ammo cans which are airtight, and the ammo cans go in the cabinet. Same for the cabinet that I store magazines in, no desiccant, but I also avoid blued steel mags. There isn’t a worse finish in existence than bluing, other than no finish at all. Any blued mags that I can’t avoid owning get coated in 75W-90 gear oil before storage.

DaveinOKC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have mine in the closet in ammo cans (behind the clothes), I have the rifles under the bed in locked cases. If I had to do it over I might use .30 cans instead of .50 just for the individual weight. Ammo can get HEAVY.
That’s no lie…a .50 can full of 230grn .45 ACP gets heavy quick when moving it around.