Ammo storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alright fellas, got a question for you all. I am running out of storage because I downsized pretty he’s ily when we moved. I have a metal locker I kept a lot of my ammo in but that locker is currently in my parents garage because my house is smaller and I don’t have any where my wife would find acceptable 🙄. We have a storage shed I just had moved here that very sturdy with new skids and it’ll hold the weight. My question is whether or not ammo will keep out in a shed that’s not insulated in a non-insulated locker if I regularly check a desiccant can or pack. Humidity in the winter isn’t too bad here but the summer would be terrible I know. What are y’alls thoughts on storing ammo like that and should I even bother? Thanks!

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heat is a problem.
Really? I would not have suspected that.
I haven't had any trouble storing ammo and guns in similar conditions. I think it's fine as long as it stays dry.
So you think I should get a really good desiccant and go for it? I know you’re not telling me what to do but do please tell me what you WOULD do. 😃

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alright fellas, got a question for you all. I am running out of storage because I downsized pretty he’s ily when we moved. I have a metal locker I kept a lot of my ammo in but that locker is currently in my parents garage because my house is smaller and I don’t have any where my wife would find acceptable 🙄. We have a storage shed I just had moved here that very sturdy with new skids and it’ll hold the weight. My question is whether or not ammo will keep out in a shed that’s not insulated in a non-insulated locker if I regularly check a desiccant can or pack. Humidity in the winter isn’t too bad here but the summer would be terrible I know. What are y’alls thoughts on storing ammo like that and should I even bother? Thanks!
Any room under the bed? Think about space you might not be using.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have tested ammo cans I got from a member here left them outside in the rain for a couple months with tools in them and left a harbor freight plastic ammo can outside in the rain and both have rubber seals for the lids.

Harbor freight had 2" of water in the bottom and the military can was bone dry.
You can submerge a good military ammo can in water and it will stay dry for a couple months.

My friend tested that.
Or look at these.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009918090?pid=756734