Another AK optics question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I finally got the Texas Dog Leg rail on my AK. Now I am wanting an optic. Must be quick detach.

My idea was an Aimpoint Pro with the LaRue Tactical Comp M2 RAS II mount. I think that would get it low enough to where it doesn't just look awkward on there and I would still have a good sight picture. But what is the difference between lever mount and vfz mount? I'm not familiar with LaRue. Sorry.

I don't want to spend a whole lot of money but I don't want to buy something crappy either.

Criticism welcome. Maybe someone can show me some different light on the subject.

Thanks guys.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...Must be quick detach...

This rules out the VFZ.

www.laruetactical.com_sites_default_files_vfz_differences_11_0.jpg

T1, if you need NV capabilities, or H1, you you don't. Personally, I think that the Aimpoint Pro, while being an excellent optic, is a bit too big for the top of an AK. My plan is the T1 as I can mount it on my Ultimak rail and cowitness with the iron sights.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with Gabriel. Go with the t1/h1. It cowitnesses great and looks right at home on the AK.
i77.photobucket.com_albums_j49_jakeums_f655c741_cd35_4bd4_baa4_eee5c573c057_zpsbc432260.jpg

:werd:

With the Ultimak rail, I can co-witness my iron sights through any micro-RDS. Just need to find the money to by a few more T1's.

www.athenswater.com_images_T56SHTF_final.JPG

*not my rifle but similar setup

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
:werd:

With the Ultimak rail, I can co-witness my iron sights through any micro-RDS. Just need to find the money to by a few more T1's.

www.athenswater.com_images_T56SHTF_final.JPG

*not my rifle but similar setup

I originally had mine on the ultimak as well, but I thought the view through it was a little cluttered with the flashlight right there. Plus I prefer the optic being a little further back. I have another AK I'm modifying but went with a side folder. So I'll have to use a different optic mount. Looking at the parabellum mount or maybe doing another ultimak. Back and forth on it.

english kanigit

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A T-1 on a LaRue mount will not cowitness with the irons atop a TWS rail. I know, I have that setup.

Photo%20Dec%2001%2C%2017%2004%2040.jpg

The cowitness aspect of it doesn't mean much of anything to me. The ability to quickly pop off the optic (QD mount) and have it return to zero when reattached (quality QD mount and optic) is what is of extreme importance to me.

The standard lever mount is what you want. The VFZ mount is so that an optic system can be detached from the rifle for maintenance, armory turn in, what have you but still have the ability to return to zero and not have a lever where folks that don't need to do so can muck with things. In that aspect it would be good for mass issue to a department, agency or group.

Ek

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can vouch for the quality of the larue mount and the T1 optic as well. I had mine zeroed for my 12.5" 223 AR and then removed it and put it on an 8" 300 blk for a hog hunt. I recorded the zero change going from one upper to another (23 clicks up and 27 to the right) and once I went back to the 223 upper and put it back to zero at 23 clicks down and 27 to the left and it was dead on. That sold me on the mount and the optic.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can't go wrong with a T1... though I actually like the regular 30mm Aimpoints better due to a larger FOV, especially if you're going to forward mount it. Plus you can use any 30mm ring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom