Another "what snake is this?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you have children around and a snake that wants to bite be it venomous or not it will usually need to be removed.

The bite of a non venomous snake does have some nasty bacteria.
If your immune system is compromised you can have bad reactions from it..

I like to catch the snakes and look at pupils.
And never assume some snakes are only in certain regions.
People have many bad snakes as pets and some get loose and some just travel ..

In Moore OK i spent most of my childhood..I went to Plaza Towers school.. walking distance.
Anyway there was and i think still is a pond behind the school called Marcums pond...that is what we called it.
2 ponds back then with a big peninsula ( big to us kids) that divided the ponds..There was an opening at the tip of the peninsula where the 2 sides joined together..And a swampy area to the west of the pond section closest to the school.

Thousands of snakes in that pond!
The peninsula was called snake island...

Anyhoo...lot's of fish to catch ..crappie and bass and catfish.. not to mention sunfish.
In 1978 or 1979 there was a coral snake caught there...Not a king snake.. but the yellow touches red coral snake.

I seen it once while wading through the mud and water on the side closest to the swamp area..
It was in the edge of the water on the tree line..
I split that area really quick like..

My friend and his dad told me about someone reporting it and authorities got it out.
I caught the scarlet kings that looked like that but that one was different and much longer than any kings i took home and played with..
I kind of like snakes, can you tell.

There is one i seen in Haskel County ..close to the border of pittsburg county off of 9east.
It was young and about 14" long..getting some sun during deer season on a flat area of wooded hills.

That snake was royal blue with a thin yellow stripe right on the side before the belly scales.
Beautiful shiny blue this snake had a turned up nose like a hog snake.

Never ever seen a snake so beautiful...It was scared of me at first...I got down to take a closer look and was talking to it.
It had round pupils ,, it calmed down a bit after it found out i was not going to harm it, and continued to lay there and sun but kept a watch on me.. never touched it.. as i did not want to scare it...Wish i had a camera with me then.

Wish i knew what it was..
Maybe a young hognose snake is solid dark blue with a single yellow stripe down both sides. I have no idea..
Maybe it is a new inbreed species.

Latest posts

Top Bottom