Anwar al-Awlaki Killed In Yemen Air Strike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
V-M, I usually agree with your positions. This time I cannot.

This country has eliminated an enemy (actually three pretty bad guys) who have and would continue to harm us. Bravo. As somebody else said, it's about the only thing this President has done right.

So as for as the rest of the world, screw them. We did something that needed to be done. Yemen even fed us intel on his location. They are not going to whine to the UN.

If this makes me a bloodthirsty chest thumping so-n-so I'll live with that tag.

Where did I say anything contrary?

pills510

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
V.M I usually agree with you on your postings. As a fellow Libertarian I am surprised at the position you have taken on this. I respectfully disagree with you and am so thankful we can still do that. I am also well pleased that our board seems to have returned to friendly discussions (@ least from what I have seen).

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a fellow Libertarian I am surprised at the position you have taken on this.

Surprised that I disagree with the actions authorized by SJR23 of the 107th Congress, or surprised that I disagree with SJR23 of the 107th Congress?

:headscratch: I'm confused by the apparent surprise of others that I would disagree with either of those. Should I, as a Libertarian, be in agreement with a perpetual war with a non-traditional form of enemy?

My postings have been in answering the question of whether or not al-Aulaqi's killing was in compliance with current American law.

pills510

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be that I don't understand your position. Are you saying it is ok for us to kill US citizens?

Only U.S. Citizens are protected by the Constitution. Even if he had not renounced his citizenship, he has publicly been involved in acts of war against the U.S.

Quoting the Bill of Rights

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

I don't give a rip about current law if it violates the Bill of Right.

As I read S.J.RES.23 it authorized the President to go after those responsible for 9-11-2001. At that time the now deceased spoke out against the attacks and was even labeled as a moderate Muslim by many media outlets.

As I said this man was a traitor and probably deserved the death penalty. As a citizen he deserved due process if at all possible.

The Bill of Rights protects people we don't like. I HATE WBC! I cant imagine what I would do if I was confronted with them @ a friend or family members funeral. I am glad that the Bill of Rights articulates that we have freedom of speech we don't like. I am glad that we don't grab a rope and string people up without a trial. I am glad for all those who protect our freedoms every day.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It may be that I don't understand your position. Are you saying it is ok for us to kill US citizens?

The courts have taken the position that acts of war against the United States, regardless of citizenship, make one an enemy combatant.

SJR23 broadly authorized military action (see bold).

"[T]he President is authorized to use all necessary and appropriate force against those nations, organizations, or persons he determines planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, or harbored such organizations or persons, in order to prevent any future acts of international terrorism against the United States by such nations, organizations or persons."

In my first post, I specifically stated that I disagree with it.

As a citizen he deserved due process if at all possible.

If Yemen was so cooperative in providing intel as to his location, why were they not cooperative in apprehension?

Perhaps we should ask what choices our government gave them. "Let's strike with precision munitions and deny his due process, or if he escapes again we'll consider your government has having aided an alleged terrorist and bomb the hell out of you."

I admit my posts may have been hard to follow since I was focused on answering the question of whether or not the action was legal.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Going by some of the comments I have seen here, we have to do away with police snipers. The snipers kill dangerous suspects without a trial, charges being filed, etc. They just pose a threat to someone's life so it is unconstitutional to kill them unless they kill someone else first.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The only problem I have...and it's not much of a problem...with the whole mess is that Awlaki was never indicted in the U.S. legal system. FWIW the Yemeni .gov did indict him.

Seems to me hey could have at least crossed the Ts and dotted the Is by getting an indictment out there before they killed him. It's not like he just showed up on the battlefield as an enemy combatant, we've been tracking him for years.

Other than that, until they start lobbing hellfires at trucks and Mosques in the continental U.S., I'm not losing any sleep over it.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the dilemma is. If the man renounced his U.S citizenship, then why should he be considered a citizen and afforded the rights given to U.S. citizens? Should he not have the liberty to decide whether or not he is a citizen? It seems to me that as a human being, he had the inherent right to choose whether or not he was a citizen. Should our nation force citizenship down the throats of those who don't want it? Seems to me he would have wanted to go this way. He picked a side and faced the consequences. He wasn't a stupid person and I believe that he fully understood the risk he assumed with his actions and was prepared to pay the price.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what the dilemma is. If the man renounced his U.S citizenship, then why should he be considered a citizen and afforded the rights given to U.S. citizens? Should he not have the liberty to decide whether or not he is a citizen? It seems to me that as a human being, he had the inherent right to choose whether or not he was a citizen. Should our nation force citizenship down the throats of those who don't want it? Seems to me he would have wanted to go this way. He picked a side and faced the consequences. He wasn't a stupid person and I believe that he fully understood the risk he assumed with his actions and was prepared to pay the price.

Because many people are assuming that only the federal government has the right to decide who can renounce their citizenship. After all, the government has more rights than a citizen does. :(

Latest posts

Top Bottom