Any full time or partial boat sailers, deep sea type folks. Gun question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Might as well have some fun with the Customs boys 😁

Mossberg 'Shockwave' - 5 + 1 Cerakote 14.375" 12 ga.
1672786150221.png

OR

Mossberg 'Shockwave' - 10 + 1 Mag fed 15" 12 ga.
1672786264278.png

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If he’s traveling internationally, I would suggest a safe to store them in. Some ports will just require your firearms be locked up/sealed (they’ll put a tamper thing or something on it) that they will check to ensure it wasn’t opened when you go through the port of exit.

One thing to consider when looking at a firearm is the caliber. In a lot of countries military calibers are illegal. Mexico for example. So an AR10/15 isn’t a good idea (or 9mm for that measure). But… a 30/30 lever gun would be acceptable in some places, and a solid, fast pointing/firing mid range rifle to keep around. Also allows you to skirt semi auto weapon restrictions. When road tripping around the US/going through less free states, my long gun of choice is a lever gun.

If I were to be a full time international yacht guy, I would keep a Glock, a short 12ga Marine Shotty (probably pump to avoid semi auto disliking countries), and a stainless scoped 30/30 in my safe. Glock for backup/self defense, shotgun for unwelcome guests, and the 30/30 in case I felt like being an idiot and taking potshots on some pirates running me down. I would also cerakote everything just for an added layer of defense. But I would typically stay far away from any remotely piratey areas.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he’s traveling internationally, I would suggest a safe to store them in. Some ports will just require your firearms be locked up/sealed (they’ll put a tamper thing or something on it) that they will check to ensure it wasn’t opened when you go through the port of exit.

One thing to consider when looking at a firearm is the caliber. In a lot of countries military calibers are illegal. Mexico for example. So an AR10/15 isn’t a good idea (or 9mm for that measure). But… a 30/30 lever gun would be acceptable in some places, and a solid, fast pointing/firing mid range rifle to keep around. Also allows you to skirt semi auto weapon restrictions. When road tripping around the US/going through less free states, my long gun of choice is a lever gun.

If I were to be a full time international yacht guy, I would keep a Glock, a short 12ga Marine Shotty (probably pump to avoid semi auto disliking countries), and a stainless scoped 30/30 in my safe. Glock for backup/self defense, shotgun for unwelcome guests, and the 30/30 in case I felt like being an idiot and taking potshots on some pirates running me down. I would also cerakote everything just for an added layer of defense. But I would typically stay far away from any remotely pirate areas.
good feedback. He is good to go. he just inquired since I was on the boat the last couple days. The mariner is an excellent choice. He has the glock/s covered. a stainless lever gun might not be bad. still got to keep an eye on stainless gun near water or anywhere but particularly damp climates.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
fun but worthless as a viable weapon on a boat against anyone unless they are standing in front of you. Needs a stock.
- Well considering that most ocean going vessels like a typical wind powered pleasure craft aren't exceptionally roomy, the field of fire would most likely be fairly narrow and close-in. Usually there is not a lot of maneuvering room for the use of full length long guns on a boat, and in addition, many weapon types can violate local customs laws.
- Shotguns are almost universally recognized as being a self-defense weapons rather than offensive in nature, therefore they are widely accepted (with restrictions) as such.
- As far a viability as a weapon, a shotgun with the correct ammunition choice, is an almost guaranteed one shot/one kill weapon at close and even medium range. Law enforcement and military worldwide would not use them if they were considered to be "worthless".

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
fun but worthless as a viable weapon on a boat against anyone unless they are standing in front of you. Needs a stock.
I was a USN sailor once upon a time. Part of the ships SSDF. A shotgun is most definitely your friend on a ship. If you get a chance to use a Mossberg Shockwave I’d say give it a chance and try it out. In the confines of a ship it be perfect. It puts out a nice OO buck spread at 15 foot. Id say every bit of a pie pan. That 14.5 inch barrel really lets it spread. You are going to get the bad guy if he boards your boat even if you don’t have a stock.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was a USN sailor once upon a time. Part of the ships SSDF. A shotgun is most definitely your friend on a ship. If you get a chance to use a Mossberg Shockwave I’d say give it a chance and try it out. In the confines of a ship it be perfect. It puts out a nice OO buck spread at 15 foot. Id say every bit of a pie pan. That 14.5 inch barrel really lets it spread. You are going to get the bad guy if he boards your boat even if you don’t have a stock.
I concur, trying to offer something before Bg gets on board lol. I’ll search for a Mariner and maybe a shockwave

Latest posts

Top Bottom